GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bulli Dibba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:35:51 CDT
It is essential for we the Gambians especially Diasporans in the US, to
identify our priorities and determine the means for building the capacity
and capability to implement that could bring development and impact the
lives of our people, taking into account their social, environmental and
economic needs. There is a lot we could talk about on how we could
contribute in the overall effort to develop Gambia. America is a land full
of opportunities and time is against us. Instead of wasting our times and
energy on personal attacks and insult as evidenced by recent exchange of
fowl language between Joe Sambou and some other folks, we could devote our
times and efforts acquiring skills, knowledge and technical know-how at the
individual and institutional levels necessary for nation-building. By doing
so we will create the foundation for the next generation of Gambians in the
US to maintain. Policy analysis and development management, including the
assessment of alternative courses of action with a view to enhancing access
to and transfer of technology and promoting economic development are areas
we could debate on and exchange ideas. My fellow Gambians lets look into
the possibilities of creating a Technical cooperation, including that
related to technology transfer and know-how between Gambia and the west,
that would encompass the whole range of activities to develop or strengthen
our individual and group capacities and capabilities necessary to bring
development to the Gambia. Our forum on Gambia-L would be regarded by many
as fruitful and effective only when it is derived from and related to
Gambia’s important issues, strategies and priorities on environment and
development.

It is important that we remember for a fact that, we have a system of
government in the Gambia that is for the people, by the people and of the
people. The decision-makers in Banjul including the president are our own
brothers, sisters, schoolmates and neighbors. Lets not fear them if our
course is clear and positive, we could contribute and help create an avenue
for the Government to define improved and consistent policies and
procedures to support the developmental process. We have many smart and
educated Gambians among us and by giving greater attention to capacity- and
capability-building as an integral part of creating sustainable development
strategies for environment and development programs both in country-related
coordination processes, such as consultative groups and round tables, and
in sectoral coordination mechanisms to enable Gambians to participate
actively in obtaining assistance from different sources.

As a Gambian I have a responsibility and duty to God and my Country. It is
not my responsibility to judge other people but myself. At this age in my
life, I ask not what my country could do for me or what some one does for
his people and for his country, but what I could do for my country, how I
could contribute to building a Gambia I could have my kids call home and be
proud of. If some Gambians for some reasons could not settle their personal
differences privately instead prefer to go at each other in public, that is
their decision to make however such individuals will go down in the history
of this great forum as a disgrace to the Gambian course. I urge every
Gambian on the –L to login Seneweb.com and see for your self issues the
Senegalese are talking about and make a comparison.