GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:50:44 +0100
Sister Jabou Joh,

Of course you are right; and that precisely is the point. Brother Sanusi
Owens, I think maintained that instead of making such populist exhortations,
the president ought first of all obtain legislation from the National
Assembly, then begin from himself the process of assets evaluation of all
officials worthy of investigation.

Recalling 1982, former president Jawara did exactly that. He instigated an
act of parliament (1982) against illicit enrichment and corrupt practices,
then created a commission, headed by Mrs. Cecilia Cole. But that commission,
instead of delving into files archived at  the Treasury and the Income Tax
and Audits departments, simply sat up quitely begging members of the public
to come forward to report officials they suspect of corruption. Then they
went on continuously warning the same public of making false allegations
lest they themselves be prosecuted for such allegations. So the commission
just fizzled away, in both substance and pretentious intention. Unless I am
grossly mistaken,  Mr. Ebou Taal, the man behind the creation of the
Commission, was its very first and only victim. Many people indeed believed
that Mr. Taal was simply a victim of political plotting.

True, it would be too much to expect this government to wage a genuine
battle against corruption. But since it has produced the prevailing storm,
we can best help it in the process by taking it on its word and work.

Many thanks,
Momodou S Sidibeh