GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:45:43 EDT
Well, sorry to butt in Mr. Manneh (I saw that you addressed your piece to
Ebrima Ceesay). Thank you for a well thought out piece. It came up with some
practical measures to ensure a level playing field for the next election
cycle. I hope the opposition parties pay attention to some of your
suggestions. I like your magic (indelible) ink that seems to cure almost all
the ills that were present during the former regime's elections. Although I
think that your title is a bit misleading, I think I can live with it.
However, I would like to point out to you that votes are not rigged
(manipulated) solely on election day. The period leading to the elections is
equally (if not more) important. It is worst to intimidate people to vote
for you than to buy their votes to prevent them from voting against you. I
do not condone either practice. So, the structures you cited are well and
good for monitoring voting on election day. But do these safeguards
guarantee a voting free from rigging? You also went through the dangerous
path of comparing the situation during the Jawara regime to what obtained
during the last election in order to rationalize the role of the elections
commission. You gave the commission a clean bill of health by rhetorically
asking why no one sued them in court. That same logic can be turned around
thus: if the old system was so rotten, why did no court overturn election
victories on behalf of PPP, PDOIS or NCP after the 1992 elections? If PPP
was so versed in the tactics you said were taking place in Banjul and
Serrekunda, why didn't they use those tactics against Dembo in Bakau or
Gibou Jagne in Serrekunda West? If the registration of alien voters was so
rampant why didn't parties use the existing laws to successfully challenge
the illegal registration of voters? Again, I hold no brief for the PPP
regime. As I said yesterday, the PPP regime is a dismal failure. Gambians
should expect more from Yaya and his cohorts. It is no excuse that one is
doing slightly better than one was doing during the PPP regime. We should
aim higher and do lot better. If we should be contented with the status quo
ante or slightly better, then there is no justification for change from the
Jawara days and Yaya and his gang should be booted out. All participants in
the coming elections should ensure that before they go around legitimizing
Yaya, they should ensure that there is a level playing field. Otherwise,
boycott the elections and isolate Yaya further. Makes it easier for us to
pounce on him. Grasping at justifications such as tribalism in order to
rationalize Yaya's victory does not cut it. Too much is made of the TV,
radio and newspapers. How many Gambians are literate or have access to
electricity? What is more important is to give opposition leaders free
access to their constituents to conduct rallies without intimidation;
showcase the brutality and corruption of this illegal regime without fear
for ones life. Intimidation and general lawlessness is the problem. Gambian
voters are not stupid and they are not bigoted. If allowed to vote freely,
they will put in place a government that puts their interest paramount. So
bureaucrats and security forces should not drop the ball and then blame the
Gambian public. Please enlighten us on the structures put in place for
challenging people's eligibility to register and vote. The tokenism of
government ministers going to voting stations to test the veracity of the
electoral laws is not enough. Also tell us more about returning officers.
Just also want to point out that computers are operated by the same
potentially corrupt human beings that gather data in a manual system.
Finally, I would respectfully urge advocates of elections and well-meaning
Gambians to ignore self-promoters on this List and scrutinize what Mr.
Manneh wrote and see if they can improve on the good practical suggestions
he gives. I for one do not believe that Yaya and his gang are capable of
ensuring a free and fair elections in The Gambia. But the significance of
the debate we on the List contribute to our national development goes
without saying. Anyone that doubts me should just read the local newspapers.
This is not a knock on the brave journalists on the ground. We know that you
are constrained (threatened by deportation, torture and murder). That is why
we say things here that no sane person (that does not want to commit
suicide) back home would hesitate saying. We will continue to showcase the
brutality of this regime and pursue all avenues to rid our country of the
cancer in the person of Yaya.
KB