GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 15:11:24 +0100
Gambia L-Community,

This one is in memory of a dear brother, friend and colleague who departed this life on the 31st of December 1989. It`s been a decade long and as we approach the next millennium I would like to pay homage to Ebou Ceesay.

Those of us who were acquainted with Ebou, whether at Real de Banjul or the Serrekunda East Nawetan tournaments, will forever remember him as a wonderful person who had filled many hearts with joy both on and off the football pitch. At the time of his death, he was the best goalkeeper in the country, a rising star and a great promise to The Gambia. It would not have been surprising today to see Ebou play in The Premie League, Serie A or The Bundesliga. He was greatly loved both by the young and old; a guy of decent presonality, charm nad charisma. Alas, it was at the peak of his football career that illness struck which was later to claim his life. This was a devastating news especially in football circles and it was hard to believe that Ebou was no more. This was a guy who had always given life to our training sessions as we prepare for the zonal tournaments and seeing him play at goal was a morale boost to the entire team. Hundreds of mourners gathered at his family home on new year`s day 1990, to pay their final respects, and anybody present that day will agree that The Gambia had lost a hero. The expressions on the faces of Saul Jagne, Lamin Touray (Dicks), Bambo Fatty (Big Boy) Baba Khan and everybody else confirmed this, and those of us who carried his coffin to his final resting place will forever be haunted by this experience.

Ebou might be gone forever, but he surely is not forgotten. Anytime I visit The Gambia and we talk about football, his name is always mentioned and we go on and on about him. The memories still linger.

We pray that God continues to shower His blessings on him and to all other deceased, and give them eternal bliss.

REST IN PEACE BRO. I SALUTE YOU.

Love,
Omar.-----Opprinnelig melding-----