GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sidi sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:04:26 GMT
Mr. Nordam,
The sentiments expressed in the Politiken is shared by most of us. However,
the magnitude of the debt relief though important, its proper utilisation is
equally, if not more, important. What good is it if the amount is spent on
more arms to fuel our numerous regional armed conflicts or it ends up in
some Swiss Bank account, as the president of the World Bank and others
warned at Okinawa. While we continue to seek additional debt relief, we must
also insist that the proceeds go to poverty alleviation programmes with
strick supervision on the multilateral development banks, the beneficiaries
and grass-roots organisation. The mechanism put in place by the donors,
including the preparation (by the country) of a Poverty Reduction Strategy,
are all designed to ensure that the debt relief goes toward the goal of
reducing poverty in eligible countries.
In addition to the countries you mentioned, others potential beneficiaries
for debt relief under the enhanced HIPC include Cameroon, Chad,
Guinea-Bissau, Kenya and Mali. The Gambia, Cote d'Ivoire, Djibouti,
Ethiopia, Lesotho, Madagascar, Rwanda and Sierra Leone are also scheduled
for consideration for debt relief hopefully before the end of the year.
Finally, I must acknowledge the leadership role of the Nordic countries in
the debt relief and poverty reduction campaign both at the international and
regional levels.

Sidi Sanneh