GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:03:33 +0100
Joe Sambou skrev:

>> From: "Amie Sillah" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: Foroyaa Burning Issue
>> Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 02:13:54 +0000
>>

>> FOROYAA NEWSPAPER BURNING ISSUE
>> Issue No. 86/2005, 10-13 November,2005
>>
>> Editorial
>>
>> JAMMEH'S SPEECH AND THE OBSERVER EDITORIAL
>> "The Need For An Independent And Impartial Daily Paper"
>> The journalistic fraternity and sorority need to meet and discuss the
>> need
>> for an independent and impartial daily paper. It is a shame on any
>> country
>> in the world to lack an independent and impartial daily paper. Of course
>> papers can be found in every country which may favour one side of the
>> political spectrum. However, there must also be those papers which are
>> committed to the dissemination of information in good faith in the
>> public
>> interest.
>> Even papers which favour certain political interest do so not by being
>> spokes person of the interest but by giving interviews and other columns
>> for the free expression of view. However, in the main they
>> disseminate the
>> truth in good faith in the public interest.
>> In short, if one reads the observer
>> editorial of Tuesday, November 8th, 2005, one must stop to wonder
>> whether
>> the observer editors are truly honest and sincere to their
>> profession. In
>> short, president Jammeh accused the opposition of treachery by claiming
>> that they are supporting war between Senegal and the Gambia. The
>> opposition
>> have given a fitting response accusing him of fabrication and
>> threatening
>> to call for his resignation or impeachment if he fails to apologise.
>> Instead of publishing facts to confirm the president's allegations, the
>> observer editors have jumped into conclusions that the president is
>> right.
>> This is outright betrayal of ethical standards of journalism.
>> We hope our colleagues in the observer will revise their position and
>> publish the letter of the opposition in full to compensate them for
>> their
>> misinformation.
>>
>> NADD RESPONDS TO JAMMEH
>> Below is a copy of NADD's response to President Jammeh's remarks on
>> Koriteh
>> day while he was receiving Muslim religious leaders. In their response
>> which was in the form of a letter, the NADD leaders gave President
>> Jammeh
>> an ultimatum- to either provide evidence to substantiate his claims or
>> apologize.
>> Mr. President, four characteristics are indispensable if a person is to
>> qualify to be classified among a world leadership that is fit to
>> govern a
>> Nation in the 21st century, that is, clarity, honesty, magnanimity and
> [...]
Joe,

Many thanks for forwarding NADD's very mature and appropriate response
to that most ignominous Eid greetings from our Mr. President almighty.
Notwithstanding the wreckage and waste all over Africa, in this day and
age, you cannot help feel that Gambia has a head of state manufactured
outside the solar system.

Sidibeh