GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Doeleman, R" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:32:59 +0100
Dear List-ers,
We're looking for specific language-use by children in Gambia. In the
Netherlands "Samsam" is a magazine for schoolchildren age 8-14 which is
distributed free at all primary schools. It covers a different theme each
month: next month the theme is Gambia. My job is to find out all I can about
the languages spoken in Gambia and especially about the way children talk to
one another. I found some information in travelling guides on Gambia's
native languages Wolluf, Madinka and Fullah, and on the use of English, but
very little on special children's-talk. We would like to know:
> - When children meet, what do they say to one another in Madinka, Wolluf,
> Fullah or Jollo? And what does that mean in English?
> - What do children say when they are angry with eachother, when they call
> eachother names? (and again, what does it mean in English).
- Do children use specific slang words?
> - Are there any language-mixes of English and Gambia's native languages
> used by children? Can you give some examples?
> - Are there special language features to Gambia-English spoken by
> children, which do not occur in Britisch-English?
- What alphabethic system is used to write in the native languages?
- etc.
> I hope you can help me. If you want to know more about the magazine, you
> can look it up at www.samsam.net You will find the virtual version of the
> paper magazine on that site. It is in Dutch, but you will get an idea.
> Thanks very much in advance.
> Rianne Doeleman
>
> Rianne Doeleman
> Cedille onderzoek en evaluatie