GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:35:03 -0500
Ousman,
This is where I beg to differ with you.

I believe that Gambian people's right to know about who Jammeh fires or
hires and why must supersede any right Jammeh has vested in him. Also as far
as the service of the Government and the people of the Gambia is concern,
there is no place for personal reasons when it comes to hire and fire. It
should be for reasons of national interest plain and simple.

Even where there is no specific requirement for him to consult with the
public he should go out of his way and do so. It can only strengthen the
people's confidence in him and his government. Afterall, a principled CEO
must have and present compelling reasons before the shareholders (in this
case the citizens) before hiring or firing executives. This is in accordance
with common sense good practice.

As regards the civil servants, I hope we recognize each time a senior civil
servant with a degree or two and a decade or more experience is fired, the
Gambia lose millions of Dalasi both in terms of money spent on training and
loss of productivity.  Furthermore the colleagues they leave behind would be
even more reluctant to give all they have for one simple reason: "eat drink
and be merry for tomorrow you may ....".

A Ramadan Kareem.

Malanding