GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 20:36:19 +0000
As long as the AU cuddles the monsters in Africa, someone, some where will
take them out to end up doing the same thing if not checked by the citizens.
  While the AU is quick to blame coupists, they should be stealthy to
prevent the events that bring them about, such as, rigging of elections;
tweak their charter to intervene when tyrants are loose with the law; and I
dare say that they begin to put pressure or force dictators out.  If not,
then we can waste our time, because those that put on the sue knows where it
pinches.  What choice do Africans have if a dictator wants to preserve their
tyranny for the rest of their natural lives and at any cost, like we have in
the Gambia currently?  Are Africans to wait for them to die naturally?  I
think not.  I do not have a problem with the military forcing the Yaya
Jammeh's out and the AU and the citizens pressure them to handover to
civilian order.  If it was good for Patrick Henry to demand Liberty or
Death, to stop the British from collecting taxes without representation in
the US, why should it be different for Africans?  The US government has
forced out some of the freaks they helped groom, like Saddam, Noriega,
Taliban, etc, and the rest of the civilized world clapped for a just and
liberating act.  So, why demand different from Africans.?  If Yaya Jammeh
attempts to rig or steal the elections in 06, the AU better be ready to deal
with more crisis in the ECOWAS.  Gambians are not going to tolerate that and
we would not want any to come after the fact to preach "accept the results".
  If the AU was not sleeping at the switch, the stalemate in Guinea Bissau
would not have happened.  To send few people to monitor and have a rigged or
manipulated situation, is also a thing of the past for Africans.

The coupists know that the AU does not have teeth, just like the club member
tyrants know they can do anything and the AU will look the other way.   Was
Obasanjo not aware of the heavy handedness of the deposed leader?  What did
the the AU do during that time?  Zilch.  The AU knows that the only defense
the people have against a life long tyrant is to get rid of them by any
means necessary, yet they stark the deck on the citizens and put them in an
arena with a beast and referee the fight by tying the peoples' hand, and in
some cases both - tyrant rigs elections, and AU calls for only voting as a
means to get rid of the tyrant.  The tyrant is also a member of the club
(AU) and the people are not.  The end result is a coup at some point,
because something will have to give.  The AU must change their rules if they
want to stop coups - they need to start reigning in on their fellow club
members.  That is how you stop the cycle.  You do not break a fight by
wrapping your arms around the person without a weapon and let loose the
other with their arsenal.

Chi Jaama

Joe