GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:38:27 EST
Dr. Saine,
A lot of the L memebers have already talked on this topic, but your
objectivity is well recognized. I personally agree with the point that we
have to come together and try to make some positive differences. And the
approach you are talking about might of course be the only way at the moment.
I understand the points Jabou and Saiks are all making and if I have a
choice, I would rather choose the ultimatums Saiks mentioned but I am not
sure that is feasible at the moment.
It all comes to what the equiliburium could be. President Jammeh have to
agree that the Gambia cannot operate on his "Bank from God" and the country
cannot move foward just like any nation without her people. Jammeh has to
understand that most of the people against him are not after his head, but
his actions. Also we have to accept that the changes that took place and the
trauma it has caused to us is not permanent.
Reconciliation is easier said than prctically possible, but there is nothing
wrong with trying. As the old saying goes, "he who never made an error, never
tried."  Yes Jammeh made errors and continous to make them. The mistakes
Jawara made are just unacceptable in any country and I am sure he learnt his
lessons. I pray to God we never have any such leader again.
"Now what compromises are Jammeh willing to take?" You asked the right
question. He being the president has to table his agenda and let the people
see that he is sincere. I am sure the suggestions Saiks came up with might
not all be accepted, but it is such a step to begin with.
Please keep up the good work. Certainly someday history will judge us and
criticize us just as we are doing now. The bantaba is certainly appearing
very healthy nowadays because of such discussions.

Ousman Bojang.