GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:24:20 GMT
Gambia-L:

The e-mail below, as usual, has come from one of my sources in the Gambia.
Anyway, because of lack of time, I am sending it unedited.

Ebrima Ceesay

>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Why is Paul Sambou under detention?
>Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:37:30 GMT
>
>Ebrima,

I have been away for the past few days. However, Saihou Mballow has
been keeping you abreast of developments as they unfold in connection with
the UDP story in Basse. As you are all aware by now, Ousainou Darbo, Yaya
Jallow and 22 others have been "charged with the
murder of one Alieu Njie, an APRC supporter".

Yahya Jammeh knows that there is no way he and his degenerates can win an
election in The Gambia. The lead that the oppositon has managed to build
over the APRC is so huge that even a rigged election cannot save Yahya and
the APRC; unless they, the APRC, run away with the ballot boxes. There is no
stopping of the Opposition. The only option left with APRC is to either
cancel the Municipal and Presidential elections or bar or eliminate the UDP
completely. I said to you some time ago that the APRC is finished; Ebrima
they are finished.

The only thing left for them to do is to start terrorising the population
and to target the leadership of the UDP for "elimination". They are relying
on Baba Jobe and the APRC thugs to accomplish the task.  Well, I have news
for them. The UDP and its supporters will not ALLOW the campaign of
intimidation to continue without a fight - and I mean a real fight. Civil
agitation has started in earnest.  You should have seen the scene this
morning: the entourage that accompanied the rest of the 80 odd UDP,
including women, making their entrance into
Banjul, after an over night stay at Somma at the request of the
people of Jarra, with car horns hooting, headlights flashing.

The entire Sarahuleh community from Basse and environs accompanied the
rest of the group into town. UDP will apply for permits to continue
the tour.  There is nothing stopping them.  Somebody else would have to
issue the permits as Rex King has been retired. In the normal palace that
means "fired" together with Commissioner Kanteh of NBD.

Now to the Paul Sambou detention. By the way, Paul was the ADC to Zainab
Jammeh.  They travelled together to Morocco some months ago. And when they
returned in February after a long sojourn, Zainab was visibly pregnant.
Consequently, Paul Sambou was nabbed immediately and locked up to this day.
The newspapers are now asking the reason or reasons for his detention
without charge. Well, Chief of Staff Jatta has finally admitted the
detention of Paul Sambou but he is having a difficult time giving reasons
for Paul Sambou's detention.

Well, Ebrima, everybody knows in town that Yahya has been trying since his
days as a Garndarme to father a child, but without success. He tried it with
Tuttie Faal, but nothing happened. Tuti then left. He then picked up Zainab,
but still he could not do the thing. Ebrima, I cannot confirm  whether or
not Yaya is impotent, but it is believed that something is wrong with his
manhood. FOR SURE YAHYA CANNOT FATHER A CHILD.

So, he, Yahya, has taken this and turned it into a problem. Well, Paul
Sambou's manhood is unquestionable and when he travelled with the first lady
to Morocco recently, he "impregnated" her. By the way, Zainab is now 4
months pregnant. Anyway, when Jammeh learnt of an "affair" between his wife
and ADC Paul Sambou, he then ordered for the arrest and detention of Paul.
Why? Simply because he had had an affair with his wife.

Ebrima, this is a civil matter and should be treated in a civil manner
rather than locking Paul Sambou up just like that. Well, Ebrima, this is the
story behind the detention of Paul Sambou.

MY NEXT INSTALLMENT WILL COVER THE INTIMIDATION OF THE INDEPENDENT
STAFF, BABA GALLEH JALLOW AND ALHAGI YORRO JALLOW. EBRIMA, AS I WRITE THIS
PIECE, THE NIA IS INVESTIGATING THE ORIGINS OF THE PARENTS OF BOTH BABA
GALLEH AND YORRO JALLOW. THESE TWO JALLOWS ARE
100% GAMBIANS. BUT ACCORDING TO YAHYA JAMMEH, THEY ARE NOT GAMBIANS. I
BELIEVE HE WANTS US TO REMIND HIM OF HIS OWN NATIONALITY AND THAT OF SoS
YANKUBA TOURAY WHOSE NATURALISATION PAPERS WERE
SIGNED ONLY LAST WEEK.

In my next posting, I will also try to cover the new bunker that
Yahya has just built in Dobong, near Kanilai.  By the way, you do not find
him in Kanilai these days. He stays at the bunker in Dobong most of time
these days. Yahya has literally gone "BUNKERS".

Have a nice week-end!