GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:25:44 EST
In a message dated 1/20/00 3:04:22 PM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

"My interpretation of the situation is that, the
 president, realizing the weakness and reverence that our people have for
 Islam, is using the Imam and Islam as a way to pacify our people and to
 justify his position."

l agree Yus. And, this is one of the worst things one can do in Islam, to use
the religion as a means to one's self gain. It is a case of tapping into
something that strikes a nerve in our society.
l will support Imam Fatty's efforts to uphold this religion, but l also
believe he is being used as a tool, perhaps even unbeknownst to himself.
l would not worry about people being swayed to the point that they feel they
will be disloyal to the religion if  they are critical of the government.
That conclusion does not give much credit to our people. Islam has been a
part of our lives in Senegambia for a very long time, and l assure you, we
are quite capable of deciphering what is real and authentic, as opposed to
what is put on for show. Make no mistake about that.

Jabou Joh

 I know that religion is a sensitive topic with Gambians, but the fact that
 the Imam is using the state house as a pulpit for his fiery religious sermons
 is a bit disturbing.  In any country there has to be a fundamental separation
 between religion and state.  My interpretation of the situation is that, the
 president, realizing the weakness and reverence that our people have for
 Islam, is using the Imam and Islam as a way to pacify our people and to
 justify his position.  This confuses the masses because, to them, being
 critical of the regime might be akin to criticizing the religion that 90% of
 our people follow.  This makes it very difficult for the present regime to be
 removed by any fair electoral process.

 Furthermore, over the years, there have been many scholars of Islam that have
 interpreted some parts of the Quran in  more liberal ways.  The Imam, in my
 opinion, contrary to some of the scholars of the religion,' is a rigid
 fundamentalist.  This evidenced by his statements against Toubabs and birth
 control.  He has also said that boys and girls should be kept apart in school
 buses and classrooms.  In fact, I read somewhere that Islam is pro-birth
 control within the confines of marriage.  Similarly, there is  no
 justification for his statements that we should not marry people from
 different religions or cultures.  There is no basis for some of the
 statements he has made.

 In conclusion, my opinion is that the Imam is walking a very thin line at
 this point.  His fundamentalist religious rhetoric makes him very dangerous
 because fundamentalists that are involved in politics are bad for any
 country.  In addition, him being used for political means by the present
 regime is not the Islamic way.  It is imperative that our people are given
 the freedom to express religion freely so that they can distinguish between
 religion and state.

 Yus