GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mori Kebba Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:12:08 -0500
COURTESY OF INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER

 A former member of the APRC Youth Action Group has expressed fear for his
personal safety after a series of alleged threats from his former bosses,
particularly he said since last month's bye-election. Bakary Kolior Camara
said he has been subjected to harassment during the campaign period and that
there was even a plan to kill him. He told The Independent that after the
final declaration of the bye-election results at the office of the
commissioner in Mansa-Konko, he and other five people were approached by the
campaign chairman of the APRC Wally Sanneh who he said told him that he
(Bakary) will be given "the most notorious beating ever given to a human
being". He said Mr. Sanneh told him that he was going to send the youth wing
members to beat him to death in his village of Kolior.

"Wally said I am his headache in Kiang because even my father followed him,
so why not me," Bakary lamented. He however further revealed that on the
very evening of the election, "thugs of the youth wing led by Baba Jobe went
to my compound at Kolior, but fortunately they did not find me in." On their
arrival at his home, Bakary said they met his mother Fatoumata Camara and
other relatives of his who expressed surprise at their coming to the
compound, "hence we were political rivals". Since then, he said they have
been monitoring his movements. He also pointed out that he was not a
criminal but a person who had absolute control over his political will and
desire.

"Since the elections to date, I could not go to my own village, fearing that
they (youth wing members) will kill me," and he appealed to human rights
organizations and Amnesty International to help save his life. He said he
knew the youth wing members very well that they will slaughter him as he is
associated with the revelation of their previous activities. The former
youth wing member warned that if the trend continuous, he will reveal more
secrets of their notorious activities not only to Gambians but the world at
large. Bakary indicated that they had a meeting at the chambers of the
Mansa-Konko Area Council late last November in order to stage up an election
fraud in the forthcoming presidential and National Assembly elections.

The aim was one way or the other to register all aliens residing in Jarra
Soma and surrounding villages to become holders of a valid Gambian voters
cards so that the ruling party will overwhelmingly win the elections. At
that meeting, he said, "Seyfo Yaya Jarjusey was present and laid the
fraudulent plan saying that was the game the former PPP used to win
elections" and Bakary continued that the plan contradicted the electoral act
if put in place. "I therefore alarmed the IEC not to allow them register
aliens staying in Soma much more their unqualified children," Bakary added.
He urged all the youths especially patriotic Gambians not to allow such
action to be implemented.

When contacted the Communication Officer at the IEC Said Yusuf noted that
the IEC is the authority on that issue and that any other information
received about the process is not authoritative. He said for any conclusion
to be made on the issue one must talk to the IEC to get the accurate
information. Mr. Yusuf said the registration of voters is conducted in an
atmosphere governed by law and the laws are strictly clear as to who can be
registered and how the IEC should register. He strictly pointed out that
they have no plans to register non-Gambians. He added that the registration
process is governed by the election decree of 1996 which makes it very clear
as to how the IEC should conduct the registration of voters.

Mr. Yusuf pointed out that the law makes it very clear that it's illegal for
anybody who is not a Gambian or not qualified to possess a voter's card to
do so. "If the IEC finds anybody in possession of a voter's card that he/she
should not have, the matter ill be taken to the police," he said. Mr. Yusuf
said the criteria drawn for a person to become a legible voter is clearly
stipulated in the 1996 decree. He quoted section 12 (1) which he said made
it very clear that before anyone can be registered one has to be a citizen
of The Gambia, attain the age of 18 years and to be born or a resident of
the constituency in which he/she wants to be registered. He said the decree
goes on to say that the person's name should not be entered on any register
of voter in the constituency unless one of the following documents is
produced; birth certificate, Gambian passport, national ID card or an
attestation satisfied by five elders residing in the place of birth of the
applicant, he concluded

Mori