GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:45:23 -0400
Luntang and all,
Saikou is correct about the original list being limited to what many
perceived to be Gambian/African. The decision to include Abrahamic names
(Judeo/Christian/Arabic) names was mine when I decided to put the list
on the website under the Gambian Names title. My reasoning for this is
simply what Prof Mazrui described as our triple heritage. This view is
cemented by the famous saying that "Kontong mang soo soto" (Mandinka) or
"Santa Amoot Kerr" (Wolof) meaning a name has no home.

My own personal take on all this is, yes we have the heritage but our
humanity cannot and must not be masked by the color of our skin, the
name in our passports or the land of our birth /resident. There were
many good Africans/Gambians in the name of Ayub Ibn Sulayman or Sir Eric
Christenson as well as not so great Bakari Bajakarr and Burungai
Sonko(may they all RIP). At the end we just have to be proud of them all.

Malanding