GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 17:34:48 +0000
    World politics-LESSON NO.2 For HAMJATTA AND THE FORTY SHIELDS.

    > PEACE YES --- MISSILES NO > > Charles Mercieca, Ph.D. > President >
    International Association of Educators for World Peace > NGO, United
    Nations (ECOSOC) UNDPI, UNICEF, UNCED & UNESCO > Professor Emeritus >
    Alabama A&M University > > An international peace conference was
    scheduled in Taiwan in summer 2001 >to explore ways of diminishing the
    threat of war in southeast Asia. A special >attention was placed on the
    existing political friction between China and >Taiwan. Both sides of
    the Taiwan Straight claim to have their own way on how >to interpret
    the events of history to seemingly get what they want >respectively. >
    >Two Sides of the Same Coin > > China claims that Taiwan is an integral
    part of its territory and that >the government of Taiwan consists of a
    bunch of rebels who seceded from the >mainland. On the other hand,
    Taiwan claims that it had been the legitimate >government of China
    which was overthrown by a bunch of rebels commonly known >as
    communists. As a result, this legitimate government took refuge in
    Taiwan, >while abandoning the mainland in the hands of the communists
    to avoid >unnecessary and needless bloodshed. Hence, both sides agreed
    in at least one >item. Both consist of Chinese people like two sides of
    the same coin. > > This contention was backed by the whole world for
    quite a few years >after this event took place, as revealed by the fact
    that the government of >Taiwan remained a part of the UN Social
    Security Council. Of course, as time >rolled on the world came to grips
    with reality and recognized the communist >government of Beijing as the
    legitimate government of China which had then >replaced the government
    of Taiwan in the UN Social Security Council. >

   Did Hongkong ever reach that stage MR.HAMJATTA? > For more than 50 years
both China and Taiwan had different governments, >each of which dreamed
that one day the other side becomes integrated with it >as one country.
Since the governments of both these two acting nations were >both born,
evolved and developed in a culture of war which had existed >already for a
period of 6,000 years of recorded history, it was very natural >for both
sides to arm themselves to the teeth in the hope that one day the >problem
of unification will be solved through a devastating war. > > What is ironic
is the fact, that the people of both acting nations never >seemed to have
been consulted. A referendum in both China and Taiwan was >never passed to
explore how the people of these two acting nations feel about >the
relationship that should, from now on, exist between China and Taiwan. >
 >Unification or Partnership > > In China, a handful(mark you this is a
handful ) of people in the government made it clear that they >have an
agenda of unification to follow and that they will not listen to any
 >alternative, far less making any compromise. The very idea of seeing what
the >people of Taiwan really want in the kind of relationship they would
love to >see with China, does not exist, not even remotely. The voice of
the 22 >million people living in Taiwan seems to have no significance at
all. > > On the other hand, the government of Taiwan did proceed to build
new >policies based on more realistic ground. This government has abandoned
the >idea of retaking the mainland, (you see Hamza what your books ommitted
to teach you is that Taiwan also one time in history wanted to retake
mainland ) which it ones governed legitimately, by force. >It reformed its
governmental structure as to create a genuine democratic >nation where
people elect their representatives. Besides, they embarked on >the
development of a strong civilian economy after the example of Japan and
 >Germany. In addition, Taiwan began to invest billions of dollars in China
by >constructing new roads and building new bridges and by constructing new
 >factories as well as modern housing projects. > > After more than 50 years
of continuous tensions between China and >Taiwan, the time has arrived
where both sides need to reassess the situation >relative to the kind of
new relationship these two flourishing nations must >have between them.
This assessment needs to be based not on what is >politically expedient
but, rather, on what is in the best interest of the >people of the two
nations and their respective civilian economy. The choice >for a
constructive solution is there and it does offer numerous options and
 >flexibility is of paramount importance. > > In spite of this, China made
it clear that it will not discuss any >option relative to its relationship
with Taiwan. It continues to maintain >that Taiwan is a break-away province
which is ruled by rebels. Its policy >toward Taiwan is one of
strangulation. This is revealed in the fact that >China does not want any
country on earth to recognize Taiwan as an >independent functioning nation,
the way is has already proved itself to be >for more than 50 years. Not
only so, but China demands of every nation on >earth not to deal with the
government of Taiwan neither directly nor >indirectly. > > What is ironic
is the fact that China itself conducts more business with >Taiwan than,
perhaps, with any other country on earth. Via Hong Kong, the >Chinese
people may visit Taiwan and the Taiwanese people may visit China with
 >virtual no restrictions whatsoever. In other words, a climate of
friendship >between China and Taiwan does exist in some way or another even
though in >theory things seem to be quite different. > >Peace Versus War >
 > In theory, China could get what it really wants peacefully, fast, and
 >smooth. But only if it were to shift its policies, which stem from a
 >traditional culture of war, to policies based purely on the newly evolving
 >and developing culture of peace. In this regard, Unesco, with its numerous
 >peace oriented non governmental organizations of the United Nations, may
 >provide some good and useful guideline to this end. China must keep in
mind >that one catches flies more with honey than with threats of a
devastating >war. > > We learn from a recorded history of 6,000 years of
civilization that >when people are threatened, rather than giving up they
become more determined >to resist to their last breath if necessary. Hence,
this explains the slogan >adopted by the international peace conference
which was scheduled in Taiwan >in summer 2001 which ran with the words:
Peace Yes -- Missiles No. If China >decides to put missiles aimed at
Taiwan, history has taught us that Taiwan >would do likewise. It would put
its own missiles aimed at China. Here we need >to bring to our attention
the words of Pope Pius XII who, on the eve of World >War II, told to both
the Germans and the British: "Remember, in a war >everyone is a loser and
no one is a winner." > > In 1945, Germany lost the war and its economy
collapsed because it was >devastated. At the same time, Great Britain won
the war and its economy >equally collapsed because it was devastated as
well. Besides, as a result of >"winning" the war, the British Empire
collapsed and Great Britain lost all of >its territories on every
continent. The words of Pope Pius XII may as well be >directed to both
China and Taiwan. Each must keep in mind, particularly >China, that in a
war everyone is a loser and no one is a winner. > > Resorting to war for
the solution of any problem reveals tremendous lack >of wisdom to say the
most and a great foolishness to say the least. Besides, >the vast majority
of the nations of the world would prefer not to conduct >business with any
country that is at war with another nation. Again, everyone >would be a
loser and no one a winner! > > One of the most curious elements which
developed in history has been the >institution of the military. Its purpose
has never been to promote peace, as >most governments contend, but merely
to wage war. Ironically, every >government in history which waged war
claimed to have done so for "defense >purposes!" In practice this so called
"defense" has always proven to be the >"safeguard and justification of
every atrocious and belligerent action that >was taken by the military,
even without any justification whatsoever. > >Healthy and Constructive
Dialogue > > All problems of the world could be solved through a healthy
and >constructive dialogue without any exception whatsoever. This would
always be >possible if we were to keep in mind the universal welfare of all
people >involved without exception. Once we start taking into consideration
the >advantages of one group of people to the exclusion of another group of
 >people, then such a dialogue would cease to be healthy and constructive. >
 > This explains why the United Nations, after more than 50 years of its
 >existence, has not succeeded to bring about a permanent peace into the
world. >Most nations meet other nations with an agenda of their own which
they want >to implement by all means possible. Even prior to their
presentation of their >agenda, they have already closed their mind to
listen to any possible >alternative that may perhaps lead to some kind of
modification or compromise. >This approach is especially observed in the
big powers or big nations whose >approach would be for all practical
purposes: "Be reasonable, do it our own >way!" > > To make things worse,
most nations seem to believe that the modification >of ideas, and anything
which may lead to a compromise, is to be viewed as a >sign of weakness
rather than as a sign of strength in the pursuit of peace. >The concept of
virtue, which is so essential in the pursuit of peace, does >not seem to
exist in the mind of most of our leading politicians. Considering >that
peace, by its very nature, is spiritual and not material, we may begin >to
realize the importance of the formulated slogan: Peace Yes -- Missiles No.
 > > Since peace evolves from the inside of the individual, we may fully
 >realize the importance to be humble, prudent, patient, generous, kind,
but, >at the same time, determined and firm in pursuing goals which are in
the best >interest of all people without exception. Hence, we may begin to
understand >why a healthy and constructive dialogue would achieve much more
in the best >interest and benefit of everyone concerned, than tons of
weapons of >destruction that would make most certainly everyone involved a
loser. > > Can China and Taiwan proceed to resolve their political
differences >peacefully? The answer is definitely in the affirmative but
only if the >culture of war that is being used to this end is replaced by
the culture of >peace. China is misleading itself by thinking that when a
country, such as >the United States, states that it recognizes Taiwan is a
part of China, such >a statement would mean that China has a right to take
over Taiwan by all >means conceivable. > >Taiwan and Tibet Contrasted > >
In fact, the United States made it clear that it will "not" allow China >to
use military means to annex the island with the mainland. China must keep
 >in mind that Taiwan is not Tibet. While Tibet was a totally disarmed
nation, >Taiwan is fully armed to the teeth mostly by the United States.
The >government of China could have Taiwan become an integral part of the
mainland >if its culture of war policies were to be replaced by a culture
of peace >diplomacy. > > As far as a possible future reunification is
concerned between China and >Taiwan, it would be infinitely more beneficial
for China to try to seek the >support and trust of the people in Taiwan
themselves regardless of the >outside world, than the other way round, as
revealed in the current China >foreign policy. At this stage of history,
China is faced with a clear cut >alternative relative to its relations with
Taiwan: > > 1. Continue toward Taiwan the present policy of isolation and
 >strangulation, while keeping on calling this island nation a break away
 >province ruled by rebels rather than legitimately elected government
 >officials, or ........ > 2. Develop a new diplomatic approach which would
reveal great dignity >and respect for the Taiwanese people in a way that
the natives of this island >nation would feel thoroughly at ease and no
longer threatened by China. > > Since World War II was over, we have had
quite a few nations which were >formed from a previously one undivided
nation, like East and West Germany, >North and South Vietnam, North and
South Yemen, as well as North and South >Korea. All of these countries had
one basic thing in common. Each side >recognized the legitimacy of the
other side in practice. As a result, a >healthy and constructive dialogue
was developed and, with the exception of >the Korean case, all have been
reunited as one nation. The cry of the world >for both China and Taiwan is
clear: Peace Yes -- Missiles No. The fate of 22 >million Taiwanese cannot
be decided without their input and full consent. >This is merely in
accordance with the United Nations Universal Declaration of >Human Rights.
 > **************************************** > Distribution List > >Charles
Mercieca, Ph.D. >President >International Association of Educators for
World Peace (iAEWP) >NGO, UN (ECOSOC), UNDPI, UNICEF, UNCED & UNESCO
 >Professor of History and Philosophy >Alabama A&M University (AAMU) >P. O.
Box 3282 - Mastin Lake Station >Huntsville, AL 35810-0282 USA >Phone:
256-534-5501 >Fax: 256-536-1018 >[log in to unmask]
 >http://www.earthportals.com/Portal-Messenger/mercieca.htmI > >Dr. Larry T.
Gell >Director-General >International Headquarters >International Agency
for Economic Development (IAED) >United Nations Plaza >P. O. Box 2260-GCS
212-697-2363 >[log in to unmask] >[log in to unmask] >http://www.iaed.org
 >http://www.mnn.org > >Dr. Hong Tao Tze >Shih-Ho Seng >Zhang Men Ren of Tai
Ji Men >President, Tai Ji Men Qigong Academy >Director, World Citizens
Assembly (WCA) 2001 >Honorary Vice President, Association of World Citizens
(AWC) UN/NGO >President, Association of World Citizens in Taiwan UN/NGO
 >President, Federation of World Peace and Love >No. 136, Keelung Rd. Sec. 2
 >Taipei, Taiwan R.O.C. >Tel: 011-886-2-2736-5188 >Fax: 011-886-2-2736-8789
 >TEL: (626) 286-0989 U.S.A. >FAX: (626) 286-7008 U.S.A.
 >[log in to unmask] >http://www.wca2001.org.tw >http://www.taijimen.org
 >www.fowpal.org
Takeshi Utsumi, Ph.D., P.E., Chairman, GLOSAS/USA * >* (GLObal Systems
Analysis and Simulation Association in the U.S.A.) * >* Laureate of Lord
Perry Award for Excellence in Distance Education * >* Founder of CAADE * >*
(Consortium for Affordable and Accessible Distance Education) * >*
President Emeritus and V.P. for Technology and Coordination of * >* Global
University System (GUS) * >* 43-23 Colden Street, Flushing, NY 11355-3998,
U.S.A. * >* Tel: 718-939-0928; Fax: 718-939-0656 (day time only--prefer
email) * >* Email: [log in to unmask]; Tax Exempt ID: 11-2999676 * >*
http://www.friends-partners.org/GLOSAS/ *