GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:08:58 -0700
Mr. Sallah,

I apologize for the distraction this may cause on the on going discourse.
Can you please help clarify the following paragraph from your reply to
Hamjatta:

"It is important for you to know that at each given stage there can be a
legal and illegal opposition. LEGALITY AND ILLEGALITY ARE DEFINED BY THOSE
WHO CONTROL STATE POWER IN HAVING THE CAPACITY TO ARREST, DETAIN AND TRY
THOSE THEY ACCUSE OF CARRYING OUT ACTS TO REMOVE THEM FROM POWER. (My
emphasis).
The tactics of a legal opposition and that of an illegal opposition cannot
possibly be the same."

I could not deduce what your insinuation is with regards to the legality of
the opposition when you made this pronouncement. Are you implying that as it
is right now, Yaya Jammeh, being the one “who control State power in having
the capacity to arrest, detain and try
those they accuse of carrying out acts to remove them from power” can
declare PDOIS an illegal opposition when he sees fit? What happens to the
constitution at this stage? Is this how things are supposed to be in a true
democracy? How would Yaya feel about such a statement from you?
I apologize if these enquiries sound trivial to you. I await your response.

Enjoy your day.

Abdoulie A. Jallow
Toll-free number: 1-888-392-4832(Excite2)
Personal extension for v/mail/fax: 291-368-1519