GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:56:30 +0100
Culled from gambianet.com
------------------------

'Reduce Voltage Of Your Electric Broom'
by Pa Malick Faye - Daily Observer

The outspoken Kanifing imam, Baba Leigh, has called on President Yahya Jammeh to reduce the voltage of his electric broom as it is causing "a lot of fear in the minds of the public servants who are the cream of the nation's development."

Speaking to Daily Observer yesterday, the Kanifing East Mosque imam argued: "It is important to give public servants the confidence of the tenure of office to enable them to work honestly and faithfully, thus guaranteeing delivery of good services.  Some of those sacked have been trained through taxes of Gambian and now going to be absorbed by international organisations which would amount to a great economic loss to The Gambia."

Imam Leigh said sackings should be the last resort as disciplinary actions.  "This phenomenon encourages corruption simply because one will tend to grab all one could during his tenure for fear that one would be sacked sooner or later. I therefore appeal to the President to reduce the voltage of his electric broom and give public servants the chance to deliver by assuring them the security of the tenure of office," Imam Leigh said.

Operation No Compromise

Imam Leigh said President Jammeh launched 'Operation No Compromise' out of exasperation at the awkward state of affairs.

Imam Leigh said he believed the President's initiative was conceived in good faith in the interest of the Gambian people. "But in the process, things may go the wrong way if proper and lawful actions are not taken," the Imam cautioned.

Critique

On claims that he relishes being regarded as a critic of the government, the imam clarified: "I have nothing personally against the government or whoever. What I do is within the limits of my duties as an imam.  All my remarks are done from an Islamic point of view and if government does anything that is not in line with Islam, I have to criticise it. But this does not mean I am an opponent of the regime.  I see myself as an adviser, not a critic."