GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:57:43 -0400
Just came across this. If only Mr. Sey was a private employee of Dr. Jammeh
and not the Gambian Ambassor to the US, I would not get in to this. I do not
know what wrong Mr. Sey did but to ask him to "hand over with immediate
effect" is some cause for concern. More worrying is Mr. Sey's claim that his
recall should not be taken "as a big issue because"..he.." have already
picked up a consultancy job in Detroit". Mr. Sey I think we owe it all
Gambians particularly those who cannot afford to pick up a consultancy in
Detroit to not take this firing and hiring lying down! If deep in your heart
the treatment you received is wrong we must not allow others to suffer the
same faith. It breaks my heart whenever I hear that another able Gambian is
prevented from doing his job.

Ambassador to America Fired

  Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

The Independent (Banjul)

June 20, 2003
Posted to the web June 20, 2003

Banjul

Essa Bokarr Sey, Gambia's ambassador to the United States, got the sack from
the Jammeh government last week. Mr. Sey, who had been Banjul's
representative in Washington for less than a year, acknowledged in a note to
a Gambian mailing list in the U.S, the GambiaPost, that he had been
recalled.

"I have been asked to hand over with immediate effect, as usual," Mr. Sey
wrote. "The recall has some political connotations I was always being
monitored because of the open door policy that I had with all Gambians." Mr.
Sey added that his recall should not be taken "as a big issue because I have
already picked up a consultancy job in Detroit."

Prior to his stint in Washington, Mr. Sey, had been Gambia's ambassador to
Taiwan and France. During his years in these three missions, Mr. Sey had
been a staunch supporter and defender of the Jammeh regime, often getting
involved in heated debates with anti-Jammeh forces on Gambian mailing lists
such as the Gambia-L and GambiaPost.

It is not yet clear who will succeed Mr. Sey as ambassador but fingers are
pointing to the mission's First Secretary, Mrs. Lena Manga Sanyang, a
veteran educationist and diplomat, as a possible successor. Mr. Tijan
Ceesay, alias Eku Bopa, is widely tipped to step into Mrs. Sanyang's shoes
as First Secretary. Mr. Ceesay is reported to have been in The Gambia over
the past several months for "orientation." He is now back in Washington, DC.

Last minute efforts to get Mr. Sey to throw more light on circumstances
surrounding his abrupt recall and his achievements as ambassador to the U.S
proved futile because he could not be reached on his cell phone and did not
immediately respond to questions emailed to him by The Independent.

----

Make allAfrica.com your home page

----

Top | Site Français | Site Guide | Who We Are | Advertising | Search

----

Copyright © 2003 The Independent. All rights reserved. Distributed by
AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). Click here to contact the copyright
holder directly for corrections -- or for permission to republish or make
other authorized use of this material.

----

Questions or Comments? Contact us. Read our Privacy Statement