GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:21:04 +0000
Sister F, did you say that the one and only Tijan Masaneh Ceesay is the
mobilizer of the APRC in Washington D.C.?  I also understand that he is on
the payroll at The Gambian Embassy in D.C.  Could you please let us know
under what capacity, since that position is tax funded?  I'm surprised that
as loud as TJ is that not many people know that he is active with the APRC.
Not that he does not have the right to join any party of his choosing, but
why hide his affiliation?  Don't you think that you guys are not getting the
most from your trade-off with him (Embassy position for APRC mobilizer)?  Is
there also a connection between Mafy Jarju's SOS position and TJ's new
position?  Mafy and TJ are close you know, and I just can't help but see a
link between their promotions within the ranks of the APRC.  As some folks
on this list already know, I know both TJ and Mafy and we have been good
friends over the years.  However, this is a matter of national concern and
we are all stake holders in matters that concern Gambia.

I therefore, move to nominate Mr. D.A. Jawo for position of Psychic
Extraorinaire for his timely posting of Jammeh's dilema.  Following is an
excerpt:

"It appears that President Jammeh is beginning to be confronted with the
reality that it is not easy to run a government through the use of political
patronage, as it seems to have been the practice in his administration.
While he may be the richest head of state in the sub-region, he has to
realise that the running of a government is much more than the frequent
dishing out of money and material gifts as well as the distribution of
public service positions to party loyalists and praise singers. Such a
situation is not only expensive and unsustainable but there are not also
enough public service positions to go round to all those who kow-tow
afterhim. Therefore, the only reasonable thing to do is to appoint the right
people in the right places, regardless of their political affiliation or
social status.The frequent sacking of public service employees, apparently
for being suspected of sympathising with the opposition is no doubt part of
the scheme to create more jobs for the party loyalists and praise-singers.
That in itself is not only unsustainable but is also having a negative
impact on productivity within the public service. The situation is so bad
that the public service is now less than half as productive as it had been
before the coup in 1994. One possible reason for that is because most of the
seasoned professionals within the public service have been replaced by
mediocres whose most important qualifications had been their loyalty to
President Jammeh and the APRC.

While President Jammeh may have the best intentions for the progress of this
country and the 'sky is the limit' for his intention to make this country
into a model in Africa, but unless he gets the right calibre of people to
man the various sectors of his administration and help him implement his
Vision 2020 dream, he cannot make a headway. Therefore, it is time that he
realised the futility of encouraging political patronage and instead start
to encourage every well meaning Gambian with the necessary talents and
skills to participate in nation building, regardless of their political
inclinations. He should therefore disregard all the bad advices he had been
receiving from his praise-singers and cronies, most of whom are only
interested in their own personal aggrandizement."  Uh! Uh! UH!

I hope we Gambians are not saying we do not know what Mr. Jawo is talking
about.  One more thing F, did you throw your hat in the ring?  If so what
happened?  If not, then why?

Sis, please help me with some answers here.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou