GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 16:22:26 GMT
Gambia-L:

Another e-mail that came from one of my sources in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

Ebrima,

In the past, I personally was of the view that Yahya Jammeh can or will
never be unseated from the presidency, unless and until physical force was
used. But that is no longer my honest view, and thanks to the good work you
people on the L and those of us in the Gambia have continued to do. Ebrima,
the pressure being exerted on Yahya Jammeh these days at home and abroad, is
such that I am now convinced that Yahya Jammeh WIL NOT survive it if the
trend continued. And mark you, I am saying that Yahya Jammeh WILL NOT
survive the pressure instead of using the words MAY NOT survive the
pressure. This shows you, Ebrima, how confident I am, that we are now on the
verge of defeating the dictator of Kanilai. Ebrima, because of Gambia-L and
the vigilant independent media here at home, together with the aggressive
posture of some of the guys in the opposition, I am now convinced that we do
not need arms to defeat the butcher of Kanilai. If we can coordinate our
efforts properly and more affectively, then we'll soon succeed in uprooting
the butcher. Ebrima, I can assure you that in every section of Gambian
society today, people have now come to the conclusion that Yahya is a
criminal and a butcher worth booting out SOON if Gambians truly wanted the
Gambia to remain peaceful. And more importantly, people at home nowadays
criticise Yahya very openly and in a very strong language for that matter,
without caring whether an NIA is listening to them. Every body is now fed up
with Jammehsm and his corrupt regime to the extent that even he, Yahya
Jammeh, knows that he cannot, no more, win an election in the Gambia. But I
agree with Hamjatta Kanteh's proposal that in order to be on the safe side,
the Opposition should try and form an alliance in the first round of the
voting, instead of leaving it to the second round. Also, another thing I can
safely say is that this time around, the people are so fed up with Yahya to
the point that they are ready to give their precious lives, just to ensure
that the forthcoming presidential election, especially the counting and the
voting, is free and fair. And, Ebrima, since Jammeh came to power, "money"
has been a scarce commodity in the Gambia, among the civilian population,
but these days, the country is so destroyed by the butcher to the extent
that even if you get the money/dalasi, you will still find certain basic
commodities not available in the country. Why? Simply because of this BIVAC
nonsense and also the fact that the country is very unstable these days, and
as a result, the businessmen, apart from Amadou Samba and one or two, have
refused to import anything. So, very soon, Ebrima, even commodities such as
oil, sugar, rice and soap will be badly unavailable in the country. This is
why I am saying that if the pressure is sustained, there is no way that the
Kanilai butcher can survive it. But this is not the reason why I am writing
this piece. The reason why I am writing this piece is to inform you of the
serious "hostility" going on, among the Secretaries of States (SoS). Ebrima,
the whole thing is confusing. For example, Yahya does not talk to Edward
Singhateh these days. Edward, in turn, does not talk to Yankuba Touray
unless when it is inevitable or urgent, because he feels that Yahya prefers
Yankuba to him. Edward also feels that Yankuba is capitalising on his
(Edward) strained relationship with Yahya Jammeh by sowing more seeds of
discord between himself (Edward) and Yahya. Susan Waffa Ogoo is also
complaining in private that Yahya has "snubbed" her and has now made Dr
Sedat Jobe his right hand man, instead of her. Famara Jattta is also jealous
that Sedat is so close to the dictator. Famara also pretends, but in reality
he doesn't like SoS Musa Sillah because he sees Musa as a threat in his
(Famara's) post. There was a talk to transfer Musa Sillah to Finance and
Famara was mad about it. He even confided in someone that that would be
"over his dead body". And, on the surface, some of them talk to SoS Sarjo
Jallow but they've never trusted him in the first place, given his past MOJA
links. One of the SoSs even said that the fact Dumo Saho had been "arrested"
on the suspicion to tamper with State Security had confirmed his fears that
Sarjo Jallow should not be trusted. Meanwhile, Isatou Njie-Saidy, Therese
Ndong-Jatta are all busy looking for jobs abroad. Abdoulie Sallah is
withdrawn or reserved and would even resign on purported health grounds if
he was not afraid of the butcher. As for Susan, she is so fed up with Yahya
Jammeh and, privately, she said she wouldn't even "care" if the dictator was
to sack her. She said Yahya Jammeh been "hostile" towards her, because she
told him her honest opinion that Mr Orlando was not a straight forward guy.
So, Ebrima, this is why I keep telling you that this regime is almost
defeated. Take my word, because I am an insider. Anyway, I'll stop here and
do some office work.