GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:45:40 EST
Joe Sambou,

Thanks for this forward. I am extremely busy with work but I will say this
much.
The policies, and incompetence of the APRC government will lead to teh
complete economic collapse of our country.
Poverty and lack of opportunity is what  drives our youth to follow tourists
and others to swallow their pride and beg in offices and everywhere else.
People have ot survive and put food on the table, and our youth faced with no
prospects for Jobs or higher education follow the tourists because the yare
hoping that they will perhaps meet that one individual who can help them get
out of the country so they can get an education or a job.
Instead of finding ways to alleviate this hopeless situation, the government
thinks rouding up Gambians and drivign them like cattle to keep them away
from the tourists is the answer. I did say before that this regime is
prioritizing dressing up the country to attract investors so a select few can
benefit from this at the expense of our people.

The Gambians who struggeld to set up samll restaurants on the beaches would
not be driven away if the Tourism and other investments are meant to benefit
the average Gambian.
It is the begining of Apartheid for us in our own country.
What a shame that the Tourists themselves are the ones standing up for the
rights of Gambians.
It is a sign of things to come.

Jabou Joh