GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:23:48 EDT
The words of the AG at a press conference last week revealed the real reason
why magistrate Borry Touray was fired. It was reported that the AG said,
among other things that:

"the Justice Service Commission has the powers to terminate the services of
incompetent civil servants. He availed on magistrates to be aware of the
powers conferred on them. He added that magistrates have jurisdiction to
remand murder suspects in custody."

In other words, magistrate Touray was fired because he applied the law and
refused to unlawfully jail Ousainou Darboe and 24 other people that have
been accused for the murder of one person. If this is not interference with
the independence of the judiciary, then we are in big trouble. Here we have
our own Attorney General (head of the judiciary because they recommend the
appointment of chief justices) admitting that the magistrate was sacked
because the government (executive) did not like the ruling of the
magistrate. Secka clearly stated that Touray was sacked because Touray did
not know that "magistrates have jurisdiction to remand murder suspects in
custody". Let us assume that Secka is right and that Touray misapplied the
law. Magistrates and judges in every jurisdiction give erroneous decisions
everyday. What law-abiding citizens and institutions do in such
circumstances, is to appeal the decisions of lower courts. People and
institutions that are aggrieved by the decisions of judges do not take the
law into their own hands. In the case of Borry Touray, the AG again showed
why he is a poor loser. When Touray would not succumb to their raw and
brutal political motives, they retaliated by sacking the poor magistrate.
The lawful thing the AG could have done, was to appeal the decision of the
magistrate to the High Court. How can the Judicial Service Commission
summarily dismiss Touray on the basis of this case alone? Ousainou Darboe
and his supporters were eventually freed by the higher court in Banjul. So,
right there, Touray has been vindicated. Perhaps there is a more sinister
angle to this. Touray was made a scapegoat in order to send a message to
other gullible magistrates and judges. Could Touray's sacking be linked to
the absurd ruling by Magistrate Haddy Roche when the latter decided to jail
Dumo and others against the expressed will of the High Court judge? Is the
intimidation of the judiciary at work here? Clearly, Haddy Roche could have
taken a hint from the AG, viz, any magistrate that does not know his/her
powers (as interpreted by Pap Cheyassin Secka) will be sacked. That is the
only explanation for the ridiculous ruling given by Haddy Roche in clear
contradiction to a High Court ruling. The revelations of the AG at the press
conference when looked at in light of what Haddy Roche did, clearly manifest
government (executive) tampering with the judiciary.
In previous postings, we have demonstrated how baseless magistrate Roche's
ruling was. The decision to continue the unlawful detention of the accused
persons was given after the prosecutor already told the magistrate that she
did not even have a prima facie case to charge anyone. This decision was
also given after the High Court took over the matter and eventually declared
the detention unlawful.
I noticed at the press conference the AG is still peddling the spurious
'public interest' argument (S. 17 Gambian Constitution) espoused by Wowo. It
would be interesting to learn what type of public interest is being served
by the unlawful detention (incommunicado) of innocent Gambian citizens. To
begin with, these charges are bogus and the mediocre talent at the AG
chambers would not last a single day at a trial before an impartial judge.
The police and the NIA are the most incompetent institutions in that
country. These people suck 'radio kang-kang' like leeches. I am sure they do
not have a single piece of substantive evidence against the accused persons.
They are only going by suspicions and rumors. When these people have their
fair day in court and facts begin to come out, I will come back and tell you
how weak the government's case is.
It is shameful for the AG to justify Dumo's unlawful detention
(incommunicado) by saying that he (Secka) was detained in 1981 and denied
advise of counsel. Pathetic. That coming from a lawyer is really sad.
Because the Jawara government had a state of emergency and did not respect
strict rule of law, it is therefore justified for this illegal government to
break the law willy-nilly? In 1981, Secka had the best Gambia could offer to
defend him against charges he denied at the time but now readily admits (to
the chagrin of his lawyers). Why is Secka denying the accused persons the
same representation he had in 1981? Secka was right in recognizing that
these people are accused of very serious crimes. But he reached a perverse
conclusion thereafter. He argued that the seriousness of the offenses
warranted the continued unlawful detention (incommunicado). This is absurd.
I put it to him that, because these charges involve life and death issues
for the accused persons, it is vital that they have legal counsel and have
contact with their families. What is the government afraid of? Well, if the
government does not want the accused persons to get legal advise from their
lawyers, at least the government should allow family members and human
rights activists to see the accused persons. That should dispel reports that
some of the accused persons have been tortured or summarily executed.
KB