GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:33:56 -0400
Culled from The observer. I'm usually skeptical with Observer articles ,
but if this article is true , I sense frustration in Mr. Dibba.

Beran

Monday, October 8, 2001

  Dibba lambastes Darboe

The presidential candidate and leader of the National Convention Party,
Sheriff Mustapha Dibba, has urged Lawyer Ousainou Darboe of the United
Democratic Party to go back to the Supreme Court to argue cases for clients
and not contest elections.

Addressing a rally in Farafenni, Dibba told his supporters that Lawyer
Darboe had no idea on how to run the affairs of government, "instead, he
should go back to the Supreme Court to continue his job and not to contest
the presidency because Gambians know him as a lawyer.

" He also accused the UDP of betraying the NCP, charging that when the UDP
was formed, he urged all his supporters to rally behind the UDP, "but now
that the ban has been lifted, some UDP supporters are never ready to hear
the name the NCP.

." Dibba urged all former supporters of the party to come back if they were
interested."They went to the UDP and APRC when the NCP was banned." Mr Dibba
told his supporters that because of the military coup, his party was unable
to participate in any political activity in the country.

Dibba said he and his supporters abided by the decree banning the party so
as to maintain peace and order in the country. "I have been silent for the
past seven years in the interest of The Gambia," Mr Dibba explained.