GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:27:33 -0800
Hi folks,

First, thanks to Saul Mbenga for the, as they would say in the US, heads-up on the
BBC "Talk about Africa" program.  Thanks also to Mrs. Fatou Jahumpa-Ceesay for the
link to the clips of the phone conversations between president Jammeh and the UDP and
NCP leaders.

I'm afraid I found the BBC program very disturbing.  Why can't Mr. Tamsir Jallow, my
former biology teacher, have a healthy debate with Mr. Omar Jallow, formerly of the
PPP?  The conversation they had with the BBC reporter, along with Mr. Emmanuel Joof,
and Imam Baba Leigh was most distressing to listen to.  Here were two people with
significant positions of responsibility in their political parties, and they were
talking and bickering like kids!  Mr. Tamsir Jallow especially needs to learn more
about the ethics of debating people, especially when the whole world is listening.
Furthermore, Mr. Tamsir Jallow's grasp of the facts leaves much to be desired.  With
all due respect to my former teacher, he sounded like he was speaking more out of
self-interest, than an understanding of the issues, and sincerity.

Amidst all the shouting, Mr. Joof and Imam Leigh maintained their composure.
Although Mr. Joof sometimes sounded like he wanted to linger on the fence, by and
large, he had some very positive ideas and comments that are worth heeding.  In the
same vein, Imam Leigh also spoke very maturely, and frankly.  I think the two
Jallows, especially my former teacher, Mr. Tamsir Jallow, have a lot to learn (in
terms of debating) from Mr. Joof and Imam Leigh.

With regards the Jammeh interviews with the opposition leaders who called to
congratulate him on his recent victory, I must say that I wasn't surprised by the
crudeness and total lack of finesse on the part of president Jammeh.  It was his
trademark self: arrogant, and even condescending; insisting on calling Mr. Darboe his
"son."  Even though we have our cultural norms where different ethnic groups joke
about their relationships (who "owns" whom, and such), I thought it was very
un-tactful of president Jammeh to call Mr. Darboe his son.  But then again, president
Jammeh never promised anyone that he had a graceful style.  Whata pity!

All this, and the today's report on BBC's focus on Africa that Mr. Baboucarr Gaye of
Citizen FM has been arrested makes me say, again, "we're in big trouble!"  I don't
know about you, but I am disturbed by the fact that despite all the fine talk about
reconciliation, and each party restraining it's "militants" (that's the word used by
both president Jammeh and Mr. Darboe in their phone conversation), despite all that
fine talk, people are still being arrested left, right, and center.

As usual, the whole world is watching, as indicated by the recent letter written by
Amnesty International protesting the arrest of Mr. Mohamed Lamin Sillah, the Sec.
Gen. of their Gambia section.  For this reason, president Jammeh and his supporters
had better know that people who care about these things will continue their struggle
for human rights, and the rule of law in The Gambia.  The idea that people can be
arrested on some one's whim, detained indefinitely, denied the due process of law,
and subjected to deprivation of their basic rights without any legal reason will not
be accepted by those of us who care about these things.  And we are going to fight
such illegal acts by the Jammeh government with all our might, and for however long
it takes.

Speaking of putting pressure on president Jammeh and his government, what is the
State House address?  And what are the phone and fax numbers to reach the President's
Office at the State House?  Please send the information either via the list, or
directly to me.

That's about it.  Have a great weekend, and best wishes.

Katim