GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 00:24:40 +0100
Tombong,

When genuine political analysts predict a scenario, they leave room (margin)
for error; and they distance their ego from it. After all, you cannot
appraise human beings as you would physical data!
People have opinions and those opinions vary, depending on time, place and
experience.

When you predicted victory for Joof due to voter apathy, you failed to take
into consideration the fact that many who did not vote in the first round
because they believed that "you cannot change African governments through
the ballot" would suddenly see after the first round results that "it is
indeed possible" and would therefore exercise their civic duty during the
second round of voting.

Remember the economic conditions of many of those voters have deteriorated
markedly during recent years and they suddenly glimpsed a ray of light at
the end of the tunnel. Remember too that many of those who voted for Gibou
Kah in the first round rioted when he announced that he was going to throw
his lot behind Joof. So you erred terribly when you assumed that all those
who voted for Kah in the first round would do so also in the second round.
They voted for him in the first round because they wanted change and he
betrayed them, and since change was still possible if they voted for Wade,
they went right ahead and did just that.

To conclude, let me say that the only government that I know of that can say
for certain that it will win elections even before a single vote is cast, is
that which you represent! Your Yankuba Touray is on record as having said
that "If you vote for us (APRC) we will win, if you don't vote for us, we
will win". Please whisper in his ear that "power belongs to the people", as
has been amply demonstrated by the people of Senegal.

Regards.

Kabir.