GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:28:25 -0400
Jobe, I believe you have a big problem. I am sorry to say that I cannot help
you with your problem. You have an inferiority complex. I assured you that I
take you seriously, but you still do not believe me. You see, if you have a
low self esteem, there is very little I can do about that. Things that are
within my power, I am trying to take care of. I never came to G_L to parade
my credentials in order for people to listen to me just because I have a
degree or because I am an old man or because I lived in Britain before. When
you accused me of being condescending to you, I tried to explain my position
to you and assure you that I do not look down on people.

What do I get in return? You characterizing my posting with terms I can only
believe you do not know the meaning of. You would have done better for
yourself had you explained why you thought my posting was vulgar. You throw
in that word and then duck behind some quotations that just goes to
highlight your acute inferiority complex.

Are you upset at my posting because it is vulgar (defined: spoken by or
expressed in language used by the common people; deficient in taste,
delicacy, or refinement; pretentious)? Is that the real reason you are
upset? Or is it because I unmask your gullibility and hypocrisy?

Jobe, while I am on G_L, you cannot have your cake and eat it. If you want
to be the self appointed mouthpiece of APRC, you have to deal with me.
Again, I take you very seriously and I resolved even before your appearance
on G_L, that I for one I am not going to tolerate people sitting on the
fence here. Peddling lies to be in Yaya's good books while at the same time
coming to good folks pretending to be a decent human being.

Yesterday, you said something very revealing to me. Some might have missed
it, but what you said gave me more insight about the kind of person you are.
You said you were not saying certain things because you fear for your
well-being if there is another government. I am glad that the students that
were massacred by the government you support, do not have the same attitude
as you do. Because you fear an imagined enemy (no one knows who is going to
be the next government), you are not ready to speak out. Do you realize that
the children that stood up to a callous tyrant like Yaya showed more courage
than you? Are you not ashamed to tell us that you are more than forty years
old, with a wife and children, good education, and still will not speak out
because you are scared of what Halifa Sallah or Hamat Bah or Ousainou Darboe
might do to you? If you are scared of these people, I wonder how you feel
about Yaya. Can we rely on people like you to look Yaya in the eye (knowing
that he orchestrated the murder of some of his close associates) and tell
him that he was wrong to order the massacre of our children?

Jobe, there is nothing terribly wrong in being a fearful coward that is
engaged in self preservation. Braver people will just pick on you and if you
are a decent human being, you will feel lousy seeing school children
fighting for you while you cling on to your government job. But there is
everything wrong in hypocrisy. In the civil service today, we have Ebrima's
Sources and we have the Kebba Jobes. I have no quarrel with someone that
would not come out and confront Yaya. But I have a big quarrel with someone
that will want to say things to perpetuate Yaya. You did not have to come
here to perpetuate Yaya. You chose to side with the Devil. By doing that,
you declared war on certain people, including myself.

Finally, let me assure you that speaking the truth is not what is going to
hurt you when there is a change of government. What is going to hurt you, is
your hypocrisy and your attempt to try and defend the indefensible. Do not
for one moment think that something as superficial as changing your name is
going to save you. Gambia is too small for that. We all know each other.
Besides, what you do not understand is that, what is important is what you
do and say. Who you are, is not going to help you later. Once a vermin,
always a vermin. You can be Kebba Jobe, Daddy Nying, KB Jobe, K.B. Jobe, or
whatever you want to be. That is of no interest to me now or later when we
get rid of Yaya. What is of interest to me, is your attitude and the things
you say here. In this war, you can either be on the offense or on the
defense. No one will be on the FENCE at the expense of our people.
KB