GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alpha Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:16:24 +0200
Halifa,

Thank you very much for bringing to my attention the need to focus on the initiatives
being taken here on the List. Do feel free to comment on anything I write. Yes, I
agree with you that the role I am playing in that regard is important, but I also see
the need to stand by my conscience. To me, the List is really like a school through
which we learn from each other and about ourselves both as individuals and as a
people. It is also a place to prepare oneself for the future.

Though time and circumstances will largely determine our roles in future, I believe,
however, that the way we conduct ourselves today, especially in assuming collective
responsibility, will tell a lot on how we may conduct ourselves tomorrow, come the
responsibility of running some affairs of a group or even the state. I want to
believe that one can play a role within the collective any still have an independent
opinion or stand on various matters, even where that does not conform to the norms or
trends, as long as people can draw a demarcation between the individual and the
person charged with a given responsibility. On that note, therefore, I hope that my
intervention here and there as an individual will not hamper my little contribution
as one of the co-ordinators of some of our collective endeavours.

In my response to Cherno Jallow, I simply wanted to clarify the situation. There are
new members joining the List by the day and sometimes we seem to have very short
memories. I therefore felt that it was necessary to straighten the record to avoid
any misconception of the situation. As far as my reference to his past remarks is
concerned, I hoped to alert his mind to the fact that our words should match our
deeds and also let him feel that anyone can recall past things and point accusing
fingers. Of course, I do not think this is going to lead us anywhere, especially
since we have more urgent issues to deal with. I have often deliberately refrained
from commenting on certain issues just to avoid unnecessary squabbles and
distractions.

I therefore hope that this will mark a new beginning between myself and Cherno Jallow
and everyone. I believe we can have healthy exchanges with an open mind. A friend of
mine sent these beautiful word below to me, and I thought of sharing it in the very
spirit of its beauty and message.

(Start) "Now is the time to get down to work!
One of the things that I have learnt and am still learning in this life is that
sometimes why we don't get the best out of ourselves and our important relationships
in life, it is because we don't EXPECT, ASK or WORK FOR THE BEST TO HAPPEN IN OUR
LIVES _ Why?

I think it's because if we don't expect, we cannot be disappointed, but then we can
become cynical and unable to look forward in hope and joy.
Also when we don't ask, it can protect us from the pain of being rejected and
being found unworthy. But then, can we ever be really happy because we have
chosen to  settle for loneliness, mediocrity or worse in ourselves and those
around us?

When we don't work for the best to happen in our lives  I believe that it is either
because we are ignorant about ourselves and our true needs and desires,
or
we don't know how to change the worst in ourselves  or the bad situations we are in,
or
we are afraid to handle success or failure,
or
it is far easier and gives us a feeling of power and superiority to single out the
worst in
others to confirm that  we are too good for them,
or
we've built a wall around our hearts and act as if we don't care and act as if
whatever
happens is OK and does not touch or hurt us
or
we don't dare to dream about what we have already deemed to be impossible!

Either way, when we do not do this important work, of expecting, asking and working
for the best to happen in our lives and our relationships,
emotional and mental garbage  only accumulates within and around us,
ending up soiling even the good things that have happened and can happen to us in the
future.

And surely it is this work TO BRING OUT THAT WHICH IS BEST AND GOOD WITHIN OURSELVES
AND THOSE AROUND US which  is one of our highest tasks
because it is fundamentally
an act of COURAGE
an act of LOVE.

NOW IS THE TIME FOR US TO GET DOWN TO WORK !

© Patricia Lamour  " (End)

The idea of establishing a “councils of wise men and women”, as you call it, is
indeed very interesting. I think such a council will be very helpful in our march to
democracy and future development. I will try to co-ordinate efforts with others to
see how we can play a part in its establishment. Anyone with any ideas or suggestions
should please get in touch. As sister Patricia Lamour puts it, NOW IS THE TIME FOR US
TO GET DOWN TO WORK !

Regards

Alpha