GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 08:04:05 -0700
Mr.Ebou Jallow,

I'm glad you've realised the connection with the on going problems in Africa
and much more closer to home...Cassamance. I must confess that after reading
the article, the Cassamance issue struck me. What is going on in Cassamance
is a peculiar form of nationalism. I will not go into categorizing the
Cassamance issue as Jola issue. It is more of a regional issue than you are
trying to portray. Eventhough I will agree with you that there is enough
evidence to support the insinuation that the Jola tribe constitutes the
majority of the dissidents. We all know very well that Cassamce and Northern
Guinea-Bissau is not inhabitted by Jolas alone.

Ebou, you should realize that you are touching on a very sensitive issue
here. In our social settings, tribal/ ethnic issues are very sensitive in
nature. We tend to brush off any possible conflicts, be it political, social
or economic. Our setting has always been characterized by harmonious
interactions regardless of the number of constituent denominations. You will
agree with me that the concept you are conveying in this whole Cassamance
issue is a new one to us and will be difficult for us to understand.
Unfortunately, as you have already noted, by the time we come to realize and
accept what you seem to be so sure of, it may be too late. I hope you will
understand why no one is taking you setriously when you make these
insinuations:

"I have been trying to warn Gambians about the same ethno-nationalist
tendencies of the MFDC, and that Yaya Jammeh will unleash that "Jola
syndrome" as a last resort to help carve out a Jola nation-state stretching
from Foni to peripheral northern Guinea-Bissau."

I'm not quite sure how positive you are on this, but I will give you the
benefit of the doubt, since you've worked with the guy and seem to know more
about him than most of us. Your task would have been much more easier if we
had more than one other person like yourself sounding the same alarm through
the proper channels. If you're sincere and factual about your call, which I
cannot dismiss in it's entirety, I urge you to use the information you have
to help those involved in the Cassamnce peace process and desist from the
ethnic finger pointing. A much more effective approach to the issue is what
is needed here.

Enjoy your day

Abdoulie A. Jallow
Toll-free number: 1-888-392-4832(Excite2)
Personal extension for v/mail/fax: 291-368-1519