GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa Nderry M'bai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:18:35 +0000
Despite   local   and   international   outcry,   Gambian   dictator
president  Yahya   Jammeh   has   assented   to  the    controversial    the
  newspaper  Act  bill,    latest    reports   hinted.

The   signing   of    the  anti   media     legislation   came   in  the
wake   of   mounting   pressure   from    press  freedom   bodies,   such
as    the   New   York   based  Committee   to  Protect   Journalists  (CPJ)
   and   Reporters   Without    Borders,    urging    the   Gambian
tyrant   not   to  sign    the   bill  into   law.      Appeals     launched
  by    these   media  institutions    had   fallen   into  deaf   ears,
as     Jammeh    decided    to   sign   the   anti  media   bill  into
law.

A    retired   army   lieutenant,     Yahya  Jammeh   had   earned   himself
    with  the   reputation   of   being    anti   press freedom.    Since
the  advent  of  his  administration    he    had    passed   numerous
draconian   laws    in    a    bid   to   curtail    free   press    in
the   tiny    West   African    country.          Under    his     rule,
arrest  and   torture     of    political   opponents    had    went
unabated.        Foreign   journalists    critical   of   his  despotic
regime   are   exposed     to    random   deportation.

The   late   journalist   Deyda   Hyadara   was    on     the   forefront
in   campaigning   against  the  newspaper Act.    Prior    to   his
gruesome    murder,     Deyda    was  said   to  have   written   series
of   commentaries   on  his    popular   "teeth  Bite"    and  "Good
Morning Mr.President"   columns   criticising   the   new   legislation.

One   thing   is   evident,     Jammeh    is    ready   to   steal   the
2006   polls.        Without    free  press,   there   will  hardly   be
any  free,    fair   and   transparent  elections.        Without    free
press,    there  cannot   be   meaningful    development.      Jammeh  and
his   cohorts   will    empty   the  treasury   in    Banjul  without   fear
   of   being  checked   by   the   media.     Gambians     should   stand
up  to  be   counted.     I     subscribed    to    Father  Cleary's   call.
      This    regime   is   taking  Gambians   to   ransom.    It's   high
time  we   break   the  chain   of   slavery.     We   can   do   this,
by   voting   monster  Yahya   out    come   the   2006   polls.

Indications    are  that   if  Jammeh   should   win   for   a   "third
time"    he   is   likely   to   amend   the  Constitution  to   provide  a
    provision     for    one   party   state.     Under   Jammeh's    rule,
  one  can       rule   out   such   reports.     The    disgraced   jailed
  majority   leader   Baba  K  Jobe   had    been    advocating  for  it
prior   to  his   unceremonious   incarceration.       2006   will
determine   the   future  of   our  country.      If    the  opposition
play   their   cards  well,   they  will   uproot   Jammeh,   who  is  a
menace  to   our   beloved  country.       We   want    to   see   this
monster   go.     He   is    a    stumbling   block   to    development