GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:42:08 -0000
From a Security Service personnel in The Gambia. Some things are becoming
clear. Except for the formatting, and deletion of the fellow's message
header, I haven't altered anything. I received the mail about two weeks ago,
and was a little wary about it. So I tried to verify some of the info. On
Musa Jammeh, who I knew in Tallinding (he was a ward of former Police CID
Inspector Gibba near the Darra,) I learnt from two army personnel that he's
involved in some top secret unit under the State Guard umbrella. One of the
army guys told me emphatically that there hasn't been a major crime in the
Gambia in the past six years, in which Musa Jammeh wasn't involved. I asked
about the "Junglers": Yes, they've all heard rumors in the army, but none of
the senior people are saying anything if they know. But more importantly,
both claimed they have NO idea who killed the two civilians and wounded one
other at some obscure border weeks ago. As far as they know, no regular army
unit is involved. Is this anonymous source giving us accurate info? I know
what to believe. You decide for yourself...

Saul,

The border shootings which were in the papers some time back were carried
out by a State Guard unit by the name JUNGLERS trained by Yaya's Morroccan
connection. They are based in Kanilai, but operate throughout the country
under the command of Yaya himself. They are trained for many purposes:

1.) To supress political opponents.
2.) To abduct opposition members.
3.) To patrol borders and perform any other duties he assigns them.

The Umurto shooting was part of their operation because he thought an
external invasion was on the way. The regular army is not even aware of all
these things. Musa Jammeh is the Gambian head of the unit which also
includes WO2 Bakary Camara, and Kawsu Camara [alias BOMBARDE] among others.
Yaya has given them the order to "shoot and kill" with the assurance that
"nothing will come out of it."

Saul, these were the same group who left Kanilai at night and attacked Lt.
Landing Sanneh, and killed Lt. Alimamo Manneh, and Cpl Dumbuya accusing them
of of a coup plot when it was a money problem. The "JUNGLERS" as they are
called, are selected mainly on tribal lines. You must have Jola blood, or be
very close to Yaya to make it into this elite, and well-paid unit. They
mount Check Points anywhere they like in the country.

A very concerned security officer.