GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
jawo abdoulie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:54:40 +0100
If The Independent report below is anything to go by, Hon. Hamat Bah has truely been robbed in the by-election. The APRC is being exposed. We hope there would be more revelations in the election petition.

Abdoulie Jawo

Over 1000 Voters Cards Seized Chief Mbye Confirms Destroying 450

The Independent (Banjul)

October 17, 2005
Posted to the web October 17, 2005

Habibu Ceesay
Banjul

Barely two weeks after the controversial by-election in Upper Saloum, Chief Malick Mbye and four other village heads (alkalolu) in the area are still allegedly keeping at least one thousand voters' cards of NADD supporters, The Independent was informed.

Chief Mbye, in confirming the story said the voters' cards that were seized from Hamat's supporters in villages like Panchang, Thaiba, Njau, Porli, Fass and Lentos are in his possession. "We were informed that these voters cards should not be returned and we have already destroyed about 450 voters' cards belonging to NADD supporters", he confirmed.

A family source also confirmed to The Independent that the alkalo of Madi Fana, Assan Mariam Ceesay alone is still holding about 500 voters' cards, which until last Friday, were not returned to their owners. He said they have warned him to return the voters' cards before the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

One Ebou Jobe, a staunch supporter of the APRC in Njau also confirmed that he is still upholding more than 250 voters' cards, which according to him, were seized from NADD supporters in the constituency. According to Mr. Jobe, they were given the mandate to seize cards from voters who are suspected of supporting the NADD candidate. "Until we receive the mandate to return them, we will not do so," he vehemently stated.