GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Madiba Saidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:44:40 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:34:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Madiba Saidy <[log in to unmask]>
To: saidy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: THE TENETS OF ISLAM (re-post #3)

      In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

 THE IMPORTANCE OF SOLAT-THE FIVE DAILY PRAYER

 All praise is for Allah, the Lord and Cherisher of the Universe. We praise
 Him and seek His help and forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allah from the
 evil of ourselves and the wickedness of our own deeds. Whomever Allah
 guides, cannot be lead astray and whomever Allah does not guide, none can
 guide him. I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except
 Allah, alone without associate, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His
 Messenger. May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, his
 household, his companions and all those who follow them in righteousness
 till the Day of Judgement.

 Allah the Exalted says, "Recite what is sent of the Book  (Qur'an) by
 inspiration to thee (Muhammad) and establish Regular Prayer: for Prayer
 restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and remembrance of Allah is the
 greatest (thing in life) without doubt. And Allah knows the (deeds) that
 you do." Q29:45

 "Men who celebrate the praises of (remember) Allah standing, sitting and
 lying down on their sides and contemplate the (wonders of) creation in the
 heavens and the earth (with the thought): "Our Lord! You have not created
 (all) this without purpose! Glory to thee! Give us salvation from the
 penalty of the fire." Q3:191

 "Those who believe and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance
 of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find
 satisfaction."Q13:28

 "So woe to the worshippers. Who are neglectful of their Prayers (Salat).
 Those who (want but) to be seen (of men). But refuse (to supply) (even)
 neighborly needs." Q107:4-7

 Despite the fact that Islam emphasizes that faith, righteous deeds "and
 Allah's Grace are needed for salvation, many Muslims have completely
 forgotten about righteous deeds. "If any do deeds of righteousness be they
 male or female and have faith they will enter heaven and not the least
 injustice will be done to them." Q4:124. Allah says in Q29:45 that solat
 (five daily prayer) is a form of remembrance of Him, also it is to prevent
 us from shameful deeds. Let us examine ourselves. Is our solat doing these
 purposes in our life? Can someone who is conscious of Allah engages in sin
 again and again? Let us be careful, we should not reduce our solat and
 other acts of worship to mere routine activities rather we should be
 conscious of the goals of  these acts of worship. Allah warns us in
 Q107:4-7.

 Solat is very important in Islam. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) was reported to
 have said that the first righteous deed that will be examined on the Day
 of Judgement is the solat. And whoever fails in this will fail in other
 things. Solat is to be observed at prescribed periods "When you pass
 (congregational) prayers celebrate Allah's praises standing, sitting down
 or lying down on your sides; but when you are free from danger set up
 regular prayers: for such prayers are enjoined on believers at stated
 times." (Q4:103). Do we fulfil this requirement?

 We should note that remembrance of Allah is not limited to sitting down in
 the mosque and chanting Allahu akbar, Lailaha ila Allah, etc. It includes
 reading and pondering on verses of the Holy Qur'an in the language we
 understand (Q3:191). The Holy Prophet (PBUH) and his companions
 demonstrated this. It is narrated in a hadith that the prophet (PBUH)
 requested of one his companions to recite verses of the Qur'an for him.
 The companion was reciting until he recited a verse something like, "One
 day We shall raise from all peoples a witness against them from amongst
 themselves: and We shall bring thee (Muhammad) as a witness against these
 (Muslims): and We have sent down to thee the Book explaining all things a
 guide a Mercy and glad tidings to Muslims." (Q16:89). The Holy Prophet
 started crying and asked the companion to stop. Prophet (PBUH) knew that
 he will give an account of his leadership to Allah, this made him cry
 because it a great responsibility.

 Furthermore, the story of three men trapped in a cave is another example
 of remembrance of Allah. Of interest is the man who had a female cousin.
 He had desire for her and made illicit advances to her but she turned him
 down. At a time of famine, the family of the woman was in need and she
 approached the man for a loan. The man said he would not give her anything
 unless she agrees to sleep with him. The woman reluctantly agreed (Hum!
 Nowadays, many women have to sleep with their boss to retain or get a
 job). But at the time he was about to enter her she said," Fear Allah and
 do not deflower what does not belong to you". The man froze; he left the
 woman and gave the money as a gift and not a loan (How many men are this
 God conscious?). Then man said in the cave, " O Allah! I refrained from
 the illicit desire I had for my cousin because I fear you so save us from
 this problem". The other two men also beseeched Allah with good deeds they
 have done and they were saved. The stone that blocked the entrance of the
 cave moved. There are lessons in this story:

 1) We should do righteous deeds to please Allah alone. Islam teaches
 that all acts of worship should be preceded by intention because Prophet
 Muhammad (PBUH) said, " All actions will be judged by intentions".

 2) If we need something from Allah, we may pray like this, " O Allah!
 I deed so and so because I fear You and want You favor therefore do so and
 so for me". This is not pride in Islam.  Your prayer is between you and
 Allah and nobody knows what you have said except Allah.

 I urge those of us who have not read "INNER DIMENSIONS OF WORSHIP" by Imam
 Al-Ghazali to please get and read this book. The book explains the goals
 of each Islamic act of worship and how we can achieve them using the
 Qur'an, ahadith and sound logic.  May Allah accept our acts of worship and
 have mercy on us.

 "And We have indeed made the Qur'an easy to understand and remember: then
 is there any that will receive admonition?" (Q54:17)

 Peace be on you.