GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:24:08 EST
Having resoundingly defeated the chosen APRC candidate Kebba Fanta Komma in
the Sami Chieftancy election, why is Morro Jawla going out of his way to seem
to want to ingratiate himself with the same gov't that has visited
incalculable tyranny on the very people who voted for him? Seventy percent of
the people of Sami voted for him and other opposition candidates in what was
euphemistically called a party neutral platform. For all intents and purposes
the people of that constituency did not want The Aprc and it's agenda. Morro
Jawla's legitimacy is wholly derived from the mandate handed to him by the
voters and it was their expressed wish that the none Aprc candidate be their
chief. It was all well and good if Mr Jawla continued to strike a
conciliatory tone by striving to work for all the people of Sami including
the faction aligned to the Aprc. No sane person can fault a politician for
extending an olive   branch  to opponents once a contest is over, after all
the entire constituency happens to be under his jurisdiction. However the
newspaper accounts of Morro Jawla's statements smack of shameless posturing
and an unacceptable bid to nullify the wishes of the voters of Sami. How can
an honest politician literally morph from a none partisan Seyfo to one
pledging allegiance to a murderous regime he was implicitly elected to stand
up to. His supporters endured the state sponsored underhanded tactics that
other gambians know all too well. For expediency or someother insidious
motivations, it seems Mr Jawla is eager to sell them down the drain in the
mistaken conviction that being seen to be close to this vile and corrupt
government is his only way to keep his job. I am personally pained that my
people  who worked hard to ensure that their wishes are borne may have
invested their hope and aspiration in the wrong man. If Mr Jawla is indeed
enamored with the APRC, then he ought give up the chieftaincy and join the
Buba Baldeh crowd. We the people of Sami are not going to be used as
unwilling and unwitting facilitators. We are a proud people with consciences.
When we give our leaders a mandate, we expect them to live up to our
expressed wishes. Political chameleons do not have a home in our midst.
Karamba