GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:02:07 GMT
Jaw,

Be careful with these views, because I think you're latching unto a
distorted view of what happened between myself and Ebou Jallow, and my
character. This was the case:

Halifa Sallah and Joe Sambou replied to some postings of Ebou Jallow. I told
both to ignore the guy given his record. He went on his usual antics,
quoting "sources" who "told him" I'm a "loser" and even forwarding a private
mail from someone with my last name. (Apparently that guy escaped Yaya's
death squad by the skin of his teeth!) But in any case, I said what I
thought of the whole issue, and moved on. And I've stated that clearly LAST
week. End of story as far as I'm concern. So, this whole
cutlass/"confrontation" thing is really baffling to me. I just can't imagine
where this idea is coming from. Don't you think I have better things to do
than to confront Ebou Jallow?

And regarding this leadership thing, you're making too many wrong
assumptions. Who ever said I want to be one? In truth, we don't really know
each other too well. (It's been 4/5? years since we first met, and our phone
conversations don't seem to be doing the ice-crushing properly.) So, I can
understand the terrible misconceptions you have. I don't think it does me
any justice in reality. But if I were to become a leader in some
hypothetical country, the last thing I'll do is throw somebody out, because
they don't see things the way I do. If one is in the habit of ingratiating
oneself with the powers that be through lying, and other slimy tactics, such
a person will most definitely not feel welcome around me. I simply don't
kiss up to anyone, and I don't let anyone kiss up to me. It's that simple!
If you've got something useful to say, I'm all ears. But if one's only
motive is to massage my ego, one may be appealing to the wrong man. That
attitude really annoys me. And we do have too many people who make a living
leading such phony lives.

Regarding Essa Sey, he was not "thrown out," Jaw. Essa, like most of the
people around Yaya Jammeh, makes a living peddling lies. That's easy to do
in Gambia. Not on this List. Most of the contributors here have some
education, and can tell when someone is peeing on them. This was simply the
case with Essa. He lied about many things, and some of us did not only tell
him, we PROVED to him that he was lying. (Note the difference.) Because Essa
knew there is NO WAY he'll be able to get away with lying to this distro
without being challenged, he VOLUNTARILY de-listed. As far as I know, the
man is welcome anytime, as long as he is ready to respect others'
intelligence by desisting from peddling lies on behalf on Yaya Jammeh. So,
it's not accurate to say that he was forced out. Any Yaya supporter is
welcome as long as he/she obeys the ground rules: speak the truth, and NEVER
try defending the indefensible. Too bad the previous ones found out the hard
way.

I have no doubt that many Gambians are like Essa Sey. That's the tragic
truth. I can handle that. What I CANNOT accept is when people try to impose
their indiscipline on me as if it's normal. And this has been my problem
with many Gambians. You may want to check with people in The Gambia Support
Group, 'cause I think you're coming from that angle. You see, freedom is not
absolute. It's relative. If we agree to meet at 3pm, and I leave my business
to make it, and I have to wait three hours for you to show up (if you do at
all.) And that happens a few more times. YES, I do have a serious problem
with that attitude! A grown man voluntarily agrees to do something at a
specific time, but you have to be a baby sitter to get him to follow
through. What's that about? I don't waste my own time, why should I let
anyone else waste it? Or the fact that when Jaw Manneh is around, she's
perfect. But as soon as she turns her back, she's a devil. I prefer telling
you to your face what's on my mind? That is clearly not the predominant
thinking in that org., 'cause some people have turned back-stabbing into an
art form. I simply refuse to be drawn into it. So, in truth, who's shoving
his thinking down who's throat?

And that's the typical Gambian scene! But the tragedy here is that, you're
finding fault with people like me who expect others to respect their own
VOLUNTARY commitments, or at least to have the decency to tell Jaw Manneh
what problems they have with her, as opposed to spreading garbage behind
her. I make no presumptions about being perfect. Never have, never will. All
I demand is that you do what YOU promised to do, rectify someone directly,
or at least stand by the truth. And if all Gambians are like the "FJManneh,
Essa Seys, and Ebou Jallows," then that's simply too bad. I have absolutely
no wish or inclination to sink to such level. People can do whatever they
choose as long as they don't encroach upon my rights. I call it principles.
Others can call it whatever they want. But more importantly, others can
decide what side to join. That decision is theirs to make, and it doesn't
cost me any sleep.

No hard feelings Jaw. I just don't understand where you're getting these
ideas.

Saul.

>Ebou,
>I am so very glad to know that you don't want to be a ninja! Saul would
>have
>advocating for
>democracy,rule of law, fairness, decency, intergrity and consistency. How
>about a little patience and accommodation! You cannot for your bravery for
>comming out in the open, denouncing and really
am sure we will also