GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matarr Moses Sajaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:08:45 EST
Hi Yus!

The underling principle is to avoid war and create an environment that will
foster peace and decrease the probability of conflict. I agree with you on
the rippling effects the aftermath of such unrest cost nations. Some where in
our agenda for national development, our leaders must clearly define what is
that they are doing to keep our country from catastrophes such as the one
SierreLeone is going through.

Accountability is a tough tobacco to chew because of the corruptibility of
our leaders. I cannot speak for every Gambian but lets face it the Gambia
never fully recovered from the 1981 coup. I personally believe that the coup
has forced some leaders who may have had good intentions for national
development to shift to self enrichment and dangerous voodoo politics to
sustain their status quo.

For Jammeh to succeed in his bid to create a better Gambia, he should not be
naive to entertain criticism of his government.  The office of the presidency
is a public one and the affairs of government should become public domain.
Peace can only become a reality if information is free to all who seek it and
there is no evidence of retribution for those he intend to supply it.

One of my mistakes in the past have been to underscore the potential of the
Gambia. Gambia is a country that is full with potential. One has to put
blinders on not to see the human resources that we have as a nation.  A war
depletes this resource and diminishes our financial resources.  You are a
champion for your voice on peace. Keep pressing on with your postings.

Thanxs
Matarr