GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 21:11:54 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No.  002/2007, 5-7 December, 2007
Editorial
Mr. Secretary of State Visit the  Mortuary in Banjul
Every human being must have an end. Death must come to all  of us. The
mortuary is therefore the last station human beings pass before  reaching their
final destination into the bowels of the earth.
What is tragic  is the state of the mortuary commonly referred to as the “
Death House” just  opposite the BCC.
Anybody who visited the place on 2nd January, 2006 would  have been struck by
an offensive odour because of the lack of a cooling system  to protect the
dead bodies from decay and prepare them for burial. They are  compelled to
confront the odour without any mask or gloves to protect them.  Sometimes blood can
be noticed oozing out of the dead bodies. The workers  willingly subject
themselves to such conditions because of their firm conviction  that they too will
come to be like the very bodies they are taking care  of.
Notwithstanding this, the living should be protected from conditions that
may be injurious to their health. The SoS for Health should visit the mortuary
to know its true state and create the conducive environment for the proper
handling of dead bodies and the proper protection of those who have the
conscience to look after the dead. Urgent action is needed to protect the  workers.

OPPOSITION LEADERS INTERVIEWED
UDP WILL CONTEST ALL  SEATS
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Ousainou Darboe, leader of the United Democratic  Party (UDP) has said that
his party will contest all the 48 constituencies in  the forthcoming National
Assembly Elections.
In an interview with Foroyaa on  Tuesday, Mr. Darboe opined that they will
win a sizeable number of seats with a  view to reducing the APRC dominance in
the National Assembly.
“We have  identified candidates for various constituencies and these
candidates are  working on tax clearance as well as assets declaration and the filling
in of  nomination papers,” he said.
For the sponsorship of contestants, Darboe said  it is not his party alone,
but Gambian Peoples’ Democratic Party (GPDP) and the  National Reconciliation
Party (NRP) who are allying with him.
Darboe also  said his party’s boycott of the last parliamentary election in
2001 was a  protest.
“We brought our protest to an end when we contested the by-election  when
Bana Jobe was convicted. We also contested in the Kombo East by-election  and the
Bakau Ward by-election. So we brought our protest to an end much earlier
than now”, he added.
Asked how many seats UDP will win, Darboe said; “I would  not want to
predict, but I believe a sizeable part of the seats.”
He was  asked whether he was willing to create room for other parties in
constituencies  where they are strong to contest the APRC alone.
Darboe indicated that he has  not been consulted by any other political party
on the formation of a tactical  alliance. He said presently it is only the
GPDP and the NRP that are  collaborating with the UDP. When Mr. Gomez was
interviewed he spoke a different  language.

“GPDP IS NOT PUTTING UP ANY CANDIDATE,” GOMEZ
By  Bubacarr K. Sowe
The Gambia Party for Democracy and Progress is not going to  participate in
the January 25 National Assembly elections, said its Secretary  General on
Wednesday.
Mr. Gomez told Foroyaa that his party’s target is the  next presidential
elections, expected in 2011.
“I was only having one goal  and that was for all opposition leaders to come
together, but since I cannot  achieve this goal, then it is too sad,” Gomez
said. He added that since the  opposition is divided, he is afraid that what
happened in the presidential  elections will repeat itself.
“We always have to learn from our mistakes, but  if we still do not learn
from our mistakes we are still going to face the same  problem like some couple
of months ago,” he said. On the formation of a tactical  alliance with various
parties, he said that it was what GPDP was calling for,  and it is unfortunate
they are not participating this time around. Asked whether  he will support
his UDP and NRP friends, Gomez said there is no friendship in  politics.
Gomez added that it is useless to contest since the outcome is  foreseen. “We
have seen what happened in presidential elections. And we can only  have a
chance of giving President Jammeh a headache by building a united force  which
you know we are not following; we are only following our self interest,
following our big heads and we are trying to build up big muscles. But to think  of
the interest of this nation let’s join hands together, where NADD is putting
up a candidate GPDP or NRP or UDP should not put up a candidate and we all
support the opposition candidate in each constituency,” Gomez  posited.

NADD AIMS FOR AN EFFECTIVE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
By  Bubacarr K. Sowe
Halifa Sallah, National Assembly Member for Serrekunda  Central has said that
the National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD)  will create “an
effective and efficient National Assembly,” if NADD contestants  win the
forthcoming polls.
Mr. Sallah made this remark in an interview with  Foroyaa over the weekend.
He said that the parliament needs to be an oversight  institution that can
scrutinize and criticise programmes and policies which are  not in the interest of
the country.
“In our view, you need the opposition in  the National Assembly to avoid it
being a one party state. That is why Gambians  need to be critical in their
selection of candidates. And, of course, the  opposition must be very critical on
the type of candidates they are going to  select,” Sallah said.
The Minority Leader also said that the electorate  should vote for a
candidate who they believe can deliver. He added that people  should move away from
the partisan conception in election, noting that the  parliamentarian should not
ratify agreements, approve loans and enact laws based  on their whims. These,
he said, requires persons of high caliber and  reason.
Sallah added that if the National Assembly remains in the hands of  the APRC
as the dominant power, it will lead to the country becoming a one party
state.
He said if they strategically win 27 seats, either independent or
opposition, that would neutralise the APRC and power will be in the hands of  those 27
members who he opined will not bow down to the wishes of the  executive.  To
ensure the number of seats of the opposition and Independent  candidates Sallah
called for a tactical alliance where the credible candidates  are supported
irrespective of whether they belong to an opposition party or are  simply
independent candidates. He explained that when NADD declared that there  should be a
tactical alliance so that the opposition would agree on one  candidate for
each constituency, he expected the UDP alliance to make the same  declaration;
that when the UDP leader indicated that they would put up  candidates in all
constituencies, it became futile to contact them. He said that  NADD decided to
implement its tactical alliance unilaterally. He explained that  NADD will not
put up candidates in Jarra West where Kemeseng is likely to stand  or Upper
Saloum where Hamat Bah is likely to stand and Bakau where Dembo Bojang  may
contest. Sallah indicated that he has spoken to the GPDP leader Mr. Henry  Gomez
who supports the principle of having a tactical alliance. He commended Mr.
Gomez for the support.

DAY ONE OF NOMINATION
Thursday, 4th  January, 2007 was the first day of the nomination of
candidates for the National  Assembly Elections, FOROYAA was out and about witnessing
the process and  interviewing APRC candidates. This day was scheduled for APRC
candidates for all  48 constituencies. Although an independent candidate can
be nominated on any of  these three days only one independent candidate was
nominated last Thursday. His  name is Abdou Colley of Kombo South.
NADD is scheduled to nominate its  candidates today and UDP tomorrow.

THREE APRC CANDIDATES NOMINATED  IN BANJUL
By Annia Gaye
As the National Assembly Election draws near three  candidates of the APRC
were nominated in the Banjul Administrative Area on the  4th January 2007. The
three nominated candidates who were declared duly  nominated by the Returning
Officer of the IEC Seedy K. Jobe are Mr. Abdoulie  Saine for Banjul Central
constituency, Alagie Sillah for Banjul North  constituency and Alhagie Babucarr
S. Nyang for Banjul South  constituency.
Speaking to the press immediately after their nomination,  Abdoulie Saine of
Banjul Central constituency said, he did not have any doubt  that he would be
elected because all the youths and women in Banjul Central are  behind him. He
sad his plan after winning the election are to address the  problems of
employment of the youth and to improve the street lighting system in  his
constituency. He stated that he would work on the drainage system in his  constituency
and clean the environment in order to avoid mosquitoes in the  area.
The candidate for Banjul North Mr. Alhagie Sillah mentioned that his
expectations are very high in these elections as he is representing a party that  has
a good track record. On his plans Mr. Sillah said he would work with
communities as it is their responsibility as candidates of APRC to come together  and
work hand in hand in order to complement government efforts.
He said that  certainly Banjul North has few constraints which he said are
the condition of  roads, which need to be rehabilitated; the drainage system,
street lights and  cleansing service. He said all those things have to do with
capacity. He also  promised to work with BCC and their external contacts.
Mr. Sillah urged  supporters to vote peacefully and come out in their large
numbers.
The  candidate for Banjul South, Mr. Alhagie Babucarr S. Nyang, said he
expected  victory in his constituency and said he would do his best to facilitate
development. He advised voters to vote in peace.

FIVE  APRC CANDIDATES NOMINATED IN KMC
By Amie Sanneh
In the count down to the  National Assembly Elections set for January 25th
2007, five APRC candidates in  the Kanifing Administrative Area were nominated
on 4th January, namely  Honourable Sulayman Joof for Serrekunda West, Ousainou
Sainey Jaiteh for  Serrekunda Central, Mrs. Haddy Nyang Jagne for Jeshwang
constituency, Hon.  Khalifa Jammeh for Bakau and Fabakary Tombong Jatta for
Serrekunda East.
In  an interview with reporters shortly after the candidates were nominated,
all  candidates expressed optimism that the APRC would sweep the polls come
25th  January 2007.
Honourable Sulayman Joof told reporters that he had already  laid the
foundation in his constituency, which is to unite them as one. He,  however, said his
constituency does not work in isolation and that he would  continue to raise
the issue of his constituency at the National Assembly.
He  noted that for him serving a 3rd term in office is an indication that the
people  are satisfied with what he is doing.
He urged the people to maintain the  peaceful atmosphere Gambians have known
through out the campaign period.
Mr.  Ousainou Sainey Jaiteh who was also nominated to contest for the
Serrekunda  Central seat said the chances belong to APRC. He described Serrekunda
Central as  one of the most backward constituencies due to the fact that in the
past years  APRC had never won. He stated that he has lot of projects in mind
which will  introduce to the people, if elected.
Mr. Jaiteh urged the people to vote  peacefully for the APRC for their own
development.
The candidate for  Jeshwang, Mrs. Haddy Nyang Jagne, said she did not make
promises but would do  her best if elected. She expected the voting process to
be conducted  peacefully.
Honourable Khalifa Jammeh for Bakau pointed out that they would  do more than
what they did during the presidential elections.
He said in the  past, Bakau had not been enjoying any development but since
they shifted their  allegiance to the ruling party, Bakau has experienced
development projects such  as schools, construction of roads etc.
He advised the people to vote  peacefully and abide by the rules of the IEC.
The last to be nominated was Hon.  Fabakary Tombong Jatta for Serrekunda East.
He told reporters shortly after  he had been nominated that he would pool
more votes than before. He noted that  he would have noting less than 70% of the
votes. Hon Jatta revealed that his  constituency will be an example in The
Gambia.
He commended the IEC for  conducting the nomination process efficiently.
The Returning Officer for KMC,  Abdoulie Jeng after the nomination process
told reporters that the nomination of  all the five APRC candidates had been
peaceful and smooth. He said all the  candidates had satisfied the conditions and
the law.
He also urged candidates  to comport themselves and to advise their
supporters to conduct themselves  peacefully during the campaign.

NOMINATIONS IN THE WESTERN  REGION
By Modou Jonga
The nomination of nine candidates for the APRC in  the January 25th National
Assembly election was held on Thursday 4th January  2007at the IEC regional
headquarters in Brikama.
Sheriff Abba Sanyang the  APRC candidate for Foni Kansala Constituency was
the first to arrive. Mr.  Sanyang, a former employee of the Department of State
for Education, is  unopposed in the January 25th National Assembly Elections.
Speaking to  reporters after being nominated Mr. Sanyang expressed his
determination to  represent the wishes and aspirations of the people of his
constituency.
At  the time of going to press, Mr. Abdou Jarju, APRC selected candidate for
Kombo  Central Constituency, and Lamin Bojang, APRC candidate for Kombo East
Constituency arrived at the IEC to be nominated, while the remaining APRC
candidates were said to be converging at the Western Division Governor’s office
in Brikama at his invitation. The nomination process was conducted and
presided  over by Mr. Malleh Sallah, the Vice Chairman of the IEC who is also the
returning officer for the Brikama Administrative Area.
APRC candidates who  were yet to arrive for nomination at the time of going
to press include Mr.  Adama Cham for Kombo North Constituency, Mr. Paul Mendy
for Kombo South  Constituency, Bintanding Jarjue for Foni Berfet, Mr. Ebrima
Janko Sanyang for  Foni Bintang Constituency, Mr. Matarr Kujabi for Foni Bondali
Constituency and  Mr. Borry Colley for Foni Jarrol Constituency.

APRC NOMINATES  CANDIDATES FOR LRD
By Yahya Dampha
Ahead of January 25th Parliamentary  election, the LRD on Thursday nominated
six candidates for six constituencies in  LRD.
The nominated candidates are as follows:
Mr. Njie Daboe for Jarra  West, Mr. Momodou L. Ceesay for Jarra Central, Mr.
Aba L. Yarbo for Kiang  Central, Mr. Bafaye Saidykhan for Jarra East, Mr. Bora
Mass for Kiang East and  Mr Kalifa Kambi for Kiang West.
All the nominated candidates vowed to win  their seats with large majority.
All five candidates are new in politics. They  replaced their predecessors.
This has caused division within the APRC camp  giving rise to prospective
independent candidates.

AT THE COURT  MARTIAL
CAPTAIN DARBOE ALLEGES SEVERE TORTURE
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
Captain Bunja Darboe, the first accused person in the general court  martial
on the March 21st Coup Plot on Wednesday 3rd of January told the court  that
he had gone through severe beatings at the National Intelligence Agency  (NIA).
Captain Darboe recalled the 25th of March 2006 about 15:00 hours when  he was
picked up by people in a black uniform, who started slapping and kicking  him
before taking him to the NIA headquarters in Banjul. He said that prison
officers at Mile 2 Central Prisons where he is in custody had to intervene,
telling them to kill him outside but not inside the prison campus.
He  testified that as he alighted from a vehicle at the NIA, the men in black
 uniform continued the onslaught on him. According to him, as they were
climbing  the stairs, he was pushed and he fell down while still hand cuffed.
Darboe said  he battled to rise amidst continuing beatings and reached the corridor
where his  leg was kicked and he fell down again, causing him a fracture on
his left wrist.  Captain Darboe informed the court that he was taken to the
minor theatre at the  Royal Victoria Teaching Hospital (RVTH) where his fractured
wrist was  straightened and bandaged. He said that after two weeks it was put
on a pop  (plaster). He also said he visited the physiotherapy where his hand
was treated  and he was given a brace and asked to report every Thursday,
which was only  honoured twice by those keeping him in custody.
Continuing his testimony,  Captain Bunja Darboe said that on the 6th of
April, 2006, together with Captain  Yaya Darboe (second accused), he was taken to
the NIA around midnight by men in  black uniform. On arrival, he said, he was
escorted to the back of the building  by Lieutenant Musa Jammeh where they
ordered him to kneel down. Darboe alleged  that they wore a black plastic bag on
his head and tied it, thus he could hardly  breath. He said among those he
recognised were Sergeant Borra Colley, Corporal  Nuha Badjie, W1 Tumbul Tamba and,
Lieutenant Alagie Martin and Musa Jammeh who  were wearing Camouflage uniform.
Eventually, Captain Darboe said, he tore the  plastic bag from his face so
that he could breath, but that it was replaced  immediately. There, he added,
Musa Jammeh asked him which country is sponsoring  the coup. He said he replied
that he had no knowledge of that. According to him,  they resumed beating him
with sticks while the bag was worn over his head. “I  started crying, till I
could not cry anymore. I was lying on the ground and they  were just beating me
like a dead snake. Lieutenant Musa Jammeh told them to  stop. He asked me
certain questions again, I was so weak I could not talk  properly and could not
respond. Then he told them take me outside and finish  me,” Darboe narrated. He
said he was later dragged to a dark corner and asked by  a soldier to say his
last prayers since he was going to die. He added that they  continued to beat
him. He said he was then forced to amend his statement as they  wanted it to
be in line with what Lieutenant Dem and Captain Seckan told them.  He said he
did not amend it that day but did so on the 22nd of June,  2006.
Captain Darboe told the court martial that shortly after his arrest on  the
night of the 22nd of March, 2006, he was whisked from his cell and taken to
the NIA. He said as he came out of the car, a soldier kicked him with combat
boots on his lower abdomen, resulting in severe pain. He said he was taken to
the conference hall where he met one Mr. Hydara, Lieutenant Alagie Martin who
were later joined by Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Colonel Lang Tombong Tamba
and  the then Inspector General of Police (IGP) Ousman Sonko. According to him,
 Colonel Tamba told him that Ex-CDS, Colonel Ndure Cham, is already arrested
and  he (Cham) had informed them that he (Captain Darboe) was part of the
coup. “He  said it will be wise if I admit being part of it,” he recalled. He
narrated that  after refusing to answer Tamba’s question, Lieutenant Alagie
Martin came over  him, tore his shirt, and threatened to deal with him severely.
At that  juncture, he requested to talk to his wife for her to arrange for a
lawyer to  see him. He said he talked to his wife but did not have access to a
lawyer.  According to Darboe, Tamba told him that he knew something about the
coup, since  he was Colonel Cham’s assistant. He denied knowing anything
about a coup, though  he knows Cham. He also said that he was asked by Mr. Hydara
for the names of  soldiers who had been visiting Cham’s office between January
and March 2006. An  instruction to arrest those officers he said was made and
some were arrested.  Darboe said he was forced to make a statement saying
that he was part of it  otherwise he would be killed. Captain Darboe said he was
asked to recopy his  statement of 22nd of March 2006 by Assistant
Superintendent Modou Lamin Ceesay.  And Darboe said he complied since there was nothing he
could do.
CROSS  EXAMINATION
In a cross-examination by the prosecutor Emmanuel Fagbenle,  he said on the
25th of March, 2006, he wrote a statement at the NIA that was to  be read over
the radio.
In an earlier testimony, Corporal Bakary Wharf  Kujabi, a Prison Medical
Officer at the Mile 2 Central Prisons identified three  X-ray films and a medical
folder of Captain Bunja Darboe. He said that the  exhibits were issued to
Captain Darboe. Corporal Kujabi said he was present when  the films were made. He
identified the images, indicating,“ It’s the wrist on  the left hand of
Darboe.”
In a cross examination with the prosecutor, Kujabi  said Darboe complained to
him that his hand was paining. Kujabi said after  examining it they found
that it was swollen and referred him to the RVTH, since  he was not a bone
specialist.

BRIKAMA P.I.U OFFICERS TESTIFY  IN COURT
By Modou Jonga
Three officers of the Police Intervention Unit who  are attached to the
Brikama Police Station have testified at the Brikama  Magistrates Court recently.
Babucarr Cham, Kebba Bah and Babucarr Touray  testified in a case involving
seventeen accused persons who were previously  arraigned on 4th December on the
charge of acting without lawful execuse in a  manner that is calculated to
lead to incitement of violence, destruction or  damage to property.
This alleged act which contravenes section 59 (b) of the  Criminal Code is
purported to have occurred on the 1st December, 2006 at Old  Yundum and Sinchu
Alhagie in the Kombo North.
In his testimony, the first  witness, Babucarr Cham, said while he was on
duty in the morning on 1st  December, he received a phone call from the
Commissioner of Police of Western  Division who instructed him to report to the office
with some P.I.U  officers.
The first witness said he left Brikama with some officers and  reported to
the Police Commissioner, Superintendent Mamud Jobe in Yundum. He  said upon his
arrival at the Yundum Police Station, he and his colleagues were  briefed by
the Police Commissioner that they were supposed to go with him on a  mission to
Old Yundum Village.
According to the first witness, they left for  the Old Yundum Football Field.
He said on their arrival at the said football  field, the two goal posts
beside the Wellingara Road were removed based on the  order of the commissioner of
police.
The witness said they left for the Old  Yundum Market. According to the first
witness, they were halted by the Police  Commissioner who addressed the women
who were selling at the said Market. He  said the Police Commissioner ordered
the women to vacate the Market. The witness  said a young man was seen
running towards the market area. He said the man was  heard saying “Don’t go
anywhere! Stay where you are! This is a problem we will  fight till the truth
prevails.”
The witness said the young man is the first  accused person (Mustapha
Jadama). He said the young man was arrested on the  orders of the Police Commissioner
and later taken to Yundum Police Station. The  witness further said that at
the Yundum Police Station they were put on stand  –by duty for an hour, after
which they were again led by the Police Commissioner  on a patrol back to the
football field at Old Yundum.
The witness said when  they reached Old Yundum; they realized that the two
goal posts beside the school  were removed by unknown persons. The witness said
they left with the Police  Commissioner for Wellingara Police Station. He said
after passing Sinchu Alhagie  Village, they saw a large crowd consisting of
women who were led by men. The  witness said they stood in front of the crowd.
He said these men were heard  saying “We are still fighting for our right and
we shall continue to fight on.”  According to the first witness, the rest of
the accused persons were part of the  group.
“The men were also heard saying that they are ready to go with us if  they
are arrested”. He said it was at this juncture that the Police Commissioner
ordered for their arrest. He said they were arrested and taken to Yundum Police
Station. He said upon arriving at the Yundum Police Station, he was asked to
give his statement, which he did.
The second prosecution witness, Kabba Bah,  said on 1st December, 2006 in the
morning, he and some of his colleagues were  ordered by Sergeant Cham of the
Brikama PIU to report to Yundum Police Station  for a mission.
He said upon arriving at the Yundum Police Station, they met  the Police
Commissioner who ordered them to go to the Old Yundum Football Field,  which they
did. He said they were also ordered by the Police Commissioner to  remove the
two goal posts at the football field besides the Wellingara High  Way.
The second witness said they left for the Yundum Market where they met  women
selling. “These women were ordered by the Police Commissioner to stop
selling and vacate the said market,” stated the second witness. He went on to  say
that at that juncture, a young man arrived and said “This is our right and  we
shall fight on till the truth prevails.” He noted that the young man is the
first accused. He said the arrest of the man was ordered by the Police
Commissioner and the latter was then taken to the Yundum Police Station.
At  the Yundum Station, the second witness said, he and his colleagues were
on a  stand-by for about on hour.
He said they were again ordered by the Police  Commissioner to go back on
patrol to Old Yundum Football Field where they found  out that the other two goal
posts beside the school were removed.
The second  witness said they continued their patrol to the Wellingara Police
Station. He  said on their way to the Wellingara Police Station, they met a
group of people  shouting on the highway, “This is our right and we shall fight
to the  end.”
According to the second witness, the 16 accused persons were arrested  and
taken to Yundum Police Station. The witness said he made a statement on the
matter at the police station.
The third prosecution witness, Babucarr Touray,  also testified on that day.
The case is adjourned till Monday 18th December,  2006. The police prosecutor
is 629 Saine.

HOPE FOR “BUMSTERS”
By  Amie Sanneh
To address the issue of “bumsters”, a multi-faceted project for  their
upkeep is said to be underway.
In an interview with the brain behind  the project, Ousman Kebbeh, said this
project, which is expected to start in  January, is meant to train youths who
were repatriated on skills as waiters or  waitresses, guides, drivers.
He said he came up with this project to  help the bumsters because the “
bumster” phenomenon has long been an obstacle to  the national problem of
investment in the tourism sector in the country, which  they want to address.
He added that tourists complain a lot about the hassle  and harassment they
sometimes receive from “bumsters.”
Mr. Kebbeh pointed out  that this harassment they receive from “bumsters” is
contained in a survey they  conducted recently. He said 67 percent of
tourists said they would never come  back to The Gambia.
“It is a high percentage which is driving me into the  project in order to
help them,” said Mr. Kebbeh.
He, however, revealed that  some of the bumsters have good certificates but
that job opportunities are  lacking.
“Each bumster has a dream and they want to help their families  settle down.
That is why we have to help them and stop describing them as  criminals,” he
posited.
The criteria of this project, Mr. Kebbeh revealed  will include a national
Identity card and  a certificate of character from  the police . This, he noted,
will help them not to involve any criminal in their  project. He said this
first project will mainly deal with the positive ones and  that plans are
underway to involve the negative ones. “We want to gain  credibility in this project,
” he said.
Mr. Kebbeh revealed that in 1999 he  conducted a similar survey which was a
success and the youths involved are now  absorbed by the Department of Tourism
as official tourist guides.
Mr. Kebbeh  called on all to make this project a success. He also urged the
tourism industry  to employ those who have undergone the training in their
industry.

THE PLIGHT OF A GAMBIAN YOUTH
Poverty and lack of employment  are killing the youths more than the bullet
can do. The youths prefer to die  than live in shame for being treated like
thrash by their families due to the  fact that they cannot contribute financially
to a family that quite often lives  from hand to mouth. They are ready to go
against the tide and scale all heights  in order to make a living. A youth
narrated his experience to this reporter  thus: “I went to school up to Grade 9.
My father who is a farmer was unable to  finance my senior secondary school
education. I therefore had to drop at Grade 9  not because of poor academic
performance but to poverty that engulfed the  family. I joined my father at the
farm. After working at the farm for many  years, which only enabled us to live
from hand to mouth without a future, I  decided to travel in search of greener
pastures. I was able to obtain a passport  but not a visa for any European
country. I have been duped by people who claimed  that they could help me to
acquire a visa.
I lost thousands of dalasis in  that adventure. In the month of July this
year, I was told by a friend of the  opportunity of going to Europe without a
visa. The friend explained the  opportunity of sailing to Europe by boat at a
relatively cheap price. After  discussing with the people in charge of the boats,
I sold my watermelon farm at  a give away price since the melons were
premature at that time. We embarked the  boat and left the country in September. We
were forty in the boat; most of us  were Gambians and Senegalese. We sailed for
eight days without reaching our  destination. Later we were told by the
Captain that we were lost. He said he  could not make out where we were. We were
all concerned we asked ourselves “What  next?” - a question that was never
answered. On the 11th day we found ourselves  in Senegal. At Senegal, we
disembarked from the boat, went in town to buy food  since our provisions were
exhausted. When we came back, we could neither see the  boat nor the Captain. We were
in a dilemma. We had to find our way back to The  Gambia. Presently, my dream
of travelling has not come true; I lost my melon  farm.”

FIRE GUTS AN APARTMENT
By Musa Barrow
“Tobaski” and  New Year celebrations turned tragic for the family of one Sam
Dampha a resident  of Bakoteh Lay-out. They saw a sudden eruption of fire
from their apartment on  Monday 1st January 2007.
Speaking to Foroyaa shortly after the fire was  extinguished the wife of Sam
Dampha,  Ndey Krubally, who witnessed the fire  outbreak from the onset, said
the fire had robbed the family of their household  materials. She took this
reporter round the debris and stated that household  materials and gadgets such
as clothes, bed TV set and carpet worth thousands of  dalasis were lost to the
fire.
Regarding what actually triggered the fire,  Mrs. Krubally could not explain
how it sparked off. She, however, narrated that  she was talking to her father
on the mobile phone outside their apartment when  she heard her younger
brother shouting. She then threw away her mobile phone and  ran to the scene only
for her to realise that a fierce fire was ravaging the  apartment.
She said she immediately called the fire service, but according to  her well
before the fire fighters arrived, her neighbours had rushed to the  scene and
taken the fight to the raging fire. Although what sparked off the fire  still
remains a mystery, Ndey Krubally who left the apartment before the fire
erupted indicated that she could not remember leaving or seeing any flammable
material that might have ignited the fire. She therefore suggested that
electrical miscarriage might have been responsible for the fire  outbreak.
Attempts to talk to Sam Dampha, the family head turned futile as he  was out
when this reporter visited the family who looked shocked and somber.