GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:25:43 -0500
We are doing something about it!
Before continuing as I promised the political punditry from a far, I have to put my two cents to this important issue, the government dire political need to be seen doing something about our problems.

Just when I am about to put some of these thoughts on paper, the recent sacking of the Secretaries only reaffirmed the points I am about to make. The APRC government is driven by this propensity, that unless they are seen doing something about an issue, people may finally figure out that they have failed the nation. Case in point, problem with the electricity, OK bring some generators and dance round town would definitely send the message that they are doing something about it, eight years under their leadership, we are still faced with the problem. Second point, the Dalasi is slipping, the country is confronted with rising prices, no problem, bring all the Managing Directors and Permanent Secretaries and castigate them for the whole country to see, clearly sends the message that they are doing something about it. Oh, tourism is one of the vehicles to bring about the development we are talking about, and bumsters were one of the chronic problems indicated by one of the experts. Hmm, it is going to be our main thrush of our tourism policy. Bring in the security forces would definitely send messages to the tourist and the country that we are definitely doing something about it. The recent utterance from the Secretary of Economic affairs and Finance, scapegoating of businessmen for the inflation the country is confronted with is a clear indication, using KB’s phrase is neither here nor there. The defensive posturing by the Secretary when you read this interview, is a clear indication that our economic problem is deeper than we even know, and the government cannot even tell us what will happen next.

A coup d’etat was orchestrated for a reason, and to our development challenges, we had a government doing something about it, what we need is a serious and genuine people to start the daunting task of fixing the problems for the sake of our people. Maybe it is time for Jammeh the leader, to send the real message to the country and give us our country back, in order to begin the daunting task of building a better Gambia than a mere political ploy of doing something about it.

Thanks

Musa Jeng