GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 01:08:24 -0500
Salam and hello Habib.  All of this stuff about BenLadin and the taliban confuses me.  Because some Muslims say you should support them, because they are fighting for the cause of Islam.  And since I am a new Muslim, well, it just all confuses me...
     It's hard enough just trying to get the basics down, and then all of the political stuff comes in.  But from what I have read, the Taliban do not represent Muslims, and I, myself, do not support them.  Because they are so extreme.
      I see all that has happened as an attack on Islam, and what these terrorists done has not helped Muslims in the least.  So, I guess a part of me is upset and angry with them because I feel they have misrepresented Islam.  And then I have to explain to my non-Muslim friends and family how they have misrepresented Islam, and then they come and say, "but the Quran says this"  Or BenLadin said that".  And sometimes I feel like when I try and explain things, people do not believe what I am saying...
     When all of this happened, for two days I didn't want to do anything, I guess I really had a bad emotional reaction to everything.  I was so upset, I didn't want to do anything.  On Wednesday, the day after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, my dad came home from work early, and he made me go to sleep because I hadn't had any sleep since Tuesday morning.  And then that might he made sure I ate.  Becuase he said if I stopped living my life and let what happen overwhelm me, then the terrorists woudl have won...
     And my parents wanted me to stay at their house longer since they were worried about my safety coming back here.  And my mom said that if I needed to, I could go back to their house.
     Anyway, sorry for the long message.  I guess it just feels better to get this stuff out...
Take care, everyone...
Ginny