GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:30:44 +0200
Mr. Jallow,

I agree with you that a bi-partisan effort should be made to set in motion a conciliatory process towards a peaceful transition. But unlike you, I see eye to eye with Mr. Omar Joof that it is indeed the APRC regime that has made the cost of exiting quite exhorbitant. Dramatic policy failures, betrayal of its own governing mantra (the Great PAT, probity, accountabilty, transparency - now weary and retired slogans!), violent infringement of the Constitutional Rights of Gambia, abrogation of the rule of law, and many other violations that produced the most erratic mode of governance in Gambia's post independence history. (To enumerate the APRC's failures is sufficient work for ten Ph.d thesis).
True, the official opposition needs urgently to put its acts together, and so far it has been a huge disapointment to Gambia. The situation can hardly get bleaker, when Mr. Waa Juwara, who is key to a solid coalition, is placed incommunicado by the NIA.
President Jammeh thus must take the initiative to unlock the current impasse. Not only must he immediately release all political detainees, including Dumo Saho, Waa Juwara and everyone else, as a goodwill gesture. But he needs to call a national conference involving the opposition and representatives of civic society to address the very grave situation.
Mr. Joof is right in that an APRC exit can hardly be smooth. Yet that is precisely the reason why we should campaign that it need not be as difficult as they think. Coming down the pedestal is usually very easy when the first tentative steps are taken. Let us deliberately remember the huge apartheid engine.

Cheers,
Momodou Sidibeh