GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:19:45 EDT
Elhajj,
We are encouraged by the fact that Gambians like your humble self will not
allow this illegal and callous government to hoodwink us. You are right that
these vermin are not interested in dispensing justice in this case. The
commission report is going to be a whitewash. There would be no smoking
guns. Still, we have to call for the release of the report so that the
independent prosecutor that is going to be appointed would have
unconditional access to the revelations at the commission. We continue to
exert pressure both on Gambia_L and back home to ensure that justice is
dispensed in this case. A lot of the case has been compromised because of
the delay tactics of the government and their supporters. But we believe
that the case is still salvageable. We should try to take control of the
appointment of an independent prosecutor to take this case to court where it
belongs. If we do not do that, the AG will just appoint another incompetent
and corrupt lawyer to do a poor job in a very tough case. Just the other
day, we heard reports that the AG appointed a prosecutor for the Ebrima
Barry case. On the day of the hearing, the prosecutor did not show up in
court. Are these the type of people we want to prosecute the case of the
April 10 and 11 massacre? No corrupt lawyer from Ghana or Nigeria should be
allowed to touch this case. This is going to be one of the toughest cases a
prosecutor can have because of the poor quality of the investigation.
Therefore, we need the best legal minds to prosecute this case. Together
with calling for the release of the commission's report, we should also call
for the appointment of an independent prosecutor. We should be prepared to
foot the bill of that prosecutor and dictate the tune. We have appealed to
Halifa Sallah to join us in our crusade to ensure that justice is done in
this case. We hereby appeal again to other opposition leaders to put
pressure on the AG to release the commission's report and appoint an
independent prosecutor. In our humble opinion, this is more important than
begging corrupt MPs to investigate the illegal financial activities of their
benefactor. The lack of prosecution of this case sends a terrible message
about us Gambians. It says that we do not value the lives of our children
that died trying to make Gambia a better place for all of us. It says that
when push comes to shove, we are prepared to let Yaya slaughter all of us.
If the opposition parties back home do not want to make this their agenda,
at least they should come out and explain their stance. Why do they think we
should not force the AG to appoint a private prosecutor and take this matter
to court? And this time, we do not want to hear crap about the Gambian
people not wanting the appointment of an independent prosecutor. Just the
other day, our brother fresh from Gambia (Saul Jobarteh) was telling us
about what people thought about the dispensation of justice in this matter.
I personally called Gambia over the weekend and everyone I spoke to knows
that justice does not lie within the pages of the commission's report. At
best, the report will just provide a  scintilla of evidence for the would be
prosecutor. Rest assured that we are following these people like a hawk.
Elhajj, this AG or any other AG can try whatever they want, but they will
never succeed in covering this one up. Someone has to pay for what happened
on April 10 and 11. They will pay with their lives.
KB