GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:23:32 -0400
Ebrima, I have been following your thesis on Yaya, the Liar, and I must say
that you are doing a superb job bringing forth irrefutable truths about the
man. I knew these people were not sincere from the minute they took over
power. To me, what Yaya is doing seven years down the road, was predictable
in 1994. If you remember, when they discarded the Mercedes Benz', they
started riding in FWD vehicles that were even more expensive than the cars
they thought were flamboyant and needed to be gotten rid of in order to save
the Gambian taxpayer some money. These people had arrived when they knew
that they can steal residences in Fajara with impunity. You should have seen
Sana Sabally at his new residence he stole from Saihou Sabally. You should
have seen Yaya at the State House testing perfume that was left behind by
Jawara when the latter fled. These people were seeing a dream come through.

That is why I was baffled that seemingly intelligent Gambians genuinely
believed Yaya when Yaya said that he was going to resign the presidency and
go become a farmer. If you understand Yaya's inferiority complex, you will
know that the only way Yaya would allow himself to be removed from office,
is if he is removed in a body bag. This man will die for the petty
'luxuries' he has always dreamt about. To lie to stay in power, is the least
Yaya will do. The man has already murdered countless Gambians in order to
perpetuate himself. No one can argue with the truths you have stated. It is
only the gullible that will believe the nonsense Yaya says. The man is sick.
I understand he will go up country and erect a fence and flood lights around
several little villages, and claim the area as his property. You think the
man is well? In order to assuage his inferiority complex, the moron will
amass land, money, animals, light-skinned wife, goodwill from people, by
giving out cash. Still, the man is not happy. If he sees people that knew
him when he was living off the Tambas, he does not want to look them in the
eye. Like all common criminals, people that knew Yaya very well in the 80's,
remind Yaya of the crime he continues to commit against the Gambian people.
He is nothing but a low-life thieve and murderer.

Ebrima, I was particularly struck by your call to ordinary Gambians to be
interested in politics. Brother, this is a very sad state of affairs.
Ordinary citizens have been bamboozled by the likes of Jobe to suffer from
what I term acute low expectation syndrome. People like Jobe go to our
citizens and parade the token development projects Yaya has been engaged in,
in an attempt to convince people to accept Yaya as their leader. They want
to convince people that because of the 'projects' we deserve a child
murderer and a thieve as our leader. To back up this fraud on our people,
the Jobes of this world will point to the 'disappointing' record of PPP.

The Opposition should endeavor to shift the focus to the present and the
future. Let us examine Yaya's record to see if he is the Best Gambian to
lead us in the Future. What are Yaya's credentials? How many projects did he
author from scratch and how many did he steal from PPP? How did he handle
crisis such as the massacre of our children on April 10 and 11, 2000? How
can he explain his sudden change of fortune from a low-life lieutenant that
needed government help (uniforms) to put clothes behind his back, to the
richest man in Gambia?

Ebrima, as we move towards the election, these are the issues we should try
to bring to the focus of ordinary Gambians. Let us instill in our people
high expectations from those who seek to lead them. Let us convince our
people that it is NOT all right for a child murderer to lead them simply
because we have roads that were financed by donors acting on documents
prepared by the Jawara regime. Any moron can do what Yaya has done in terms
of development. But we should not settle for any moron. We should have high
caliber people with a vision. People that will engage in more meaningful
development projects and will not steal taxpayers' money or murder innocent
children.

Ebrima, this is a daunting task and I hope your Messages to the Gambians
will help alleviate the problem to some extent. I say it is daunting because
the majority of our people are very complacent to say the least. The
ordinary Gambian thinks that the situation is helpless. They do not believe
that they can get rid of Yaya and replace him with someone better. Ebrima,
it is sad when you engage seemingly educated people in The Gambia. People
that we grew up with are unrecognizable now. Just last night I was speaking
to someone about how disappointed I was when Batchi accepted to be
re-appointed by Yaya after his earlier dismissal. I said to a mutual friend
(that knows both me a Batchi) that Batch should have rejected the post as a
matter of principle. This friend, who is very educated and very radical
according to Gambian standards told me that he did not blame Batchi. He
explained that had Batchi rejected the post, Yaya and his cohorts will just
victimize Batchi. Ebrima, this line of reasoning, is what is pathetic about
the situation back home. Unprincipled people. Grown-ups that see nothing
wrong in children standing up to Yaya and getting massacred in broad
daylight. The way Batchi got another job to leave for greener pastures right
after he was re-appointed by Yaya, should have shown everyone that one does
not have to depend on Yaya in order to feed one's family or to live a decent
life. People should have the guts to stand up for what is right. No one
would have killed Batchi for rejecting the post. Yaya cannot kill all the
Gambians that would stand up and say that it was wrong for him to order the
cold-blooded murder of our children. It is about time that people stand up
for what is right come what may. Our children did it on April 10 and 11,
2000. It is about time adults step up and stop this cowardice and
selfishness. I am not saying this because I am not in The Gambia. You know
that when I was back home I was saying the same things and if I were back
home, I will be saying the same. Wrong will always be wrong, no matter where
we are. Some of us could have been Kebba Jobe. But we chose not to dine with
the Devil and take our chances in competitive terrain like the U.S. where
the deck is stacked against us.

I am not advocating for all decent Gambians to leave the country to
foreigners like Yaya to annihilate our people. There are other means of
protesting against this diabolical regime. The least risky one for cowards
like Jobe, is to stay below the radar screen and NOT try to convince our
people that Yaya deserves to rule us. To perpetuate a callous murderer like
Yaya, is the biggest disservice a civil servant can do for the Gambian
people. We do not need the 'development projects' of a child murderer.

Ebrima, thanks for the great job you are doing and I look forward to your
Messages to the Gambian people. I am glad that you are engaging Jobe in a
meaningful manner. I hope he reciprocates.
KB