GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Ndiaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:01:50 +0200
PLEASE EXCUSE MY ENGLISH

Mr. Fye you are 100% right. It is even not easy to come up with something after
reading you.
We have to understand that we cannot talk about democracy without accepting that
others
can express themselves without being harassed. Why do we call some leaders
dictators?
because among others they do not want or allow others to express ideas which are
not in accordance
with their own. Folks let try to be mature. As the west is often saying: "
Africa is not ready for democracy".
What should we say to that when intellectuals cannot accept that other
intellectuals can have different opinions.
We should be able to agree that we do not agree without abusing each other.
Fellows this is a frustrating situation and frustration can turn friends,
relatives into enemies. Such things are the
main motor behind civil wars in Africa. Democracy is supposed to give people the
right to choose. If everybody had the
same choice what would we live for? Regimes come and go, but the people remains.
Let's not attack each other
but defend what we believe in. May Satan not enter our Gambia.

Wassalaam
Joe