GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 20:40:52 -0400
A New generation of home grown young Gambians musicians…DA FUGITIVZ,
invades the July Fourth celebration in Atlanta for the Millenium
reunion. The Atlanta Gambia Community Organization (AGCO), driven by
their twin slogans of INCLUSION and MAKING A DIFFERENCE reached out to
the young musicians to be part of this year’s celebration.

Below are excerpts from an interview conducted by AGCO to DA FUGITIVZ:

AGCO
Most Gambians, especially our generation never witnesses a successful
Gambian musical group, therefore how and where did you guys get your
inspiration to get into music?

FUGITIVZ

You absolutely correct that since the demise of the Super eagles, and
this was before our generation, we have seen the musical successes of
mostly Senegalese musicians. What one would characterize, as a
successful Gambia musical group is still a dream to be realized? But the
revolution has definitely begun, and DA FUGITIVS would like to bring
back those nostalgia years of the Super Eagles. As for inspiration,
clearly, the global technology of TV, Senegalese musical groups and the
Rap Reggae revolution triggered and gave us the confidence to pursue our
dreams.

AGCO:

I have seen your performance in Banjul, and there is absolutely no doubt
that you guys are a talented musical group. In addition to the fact that
the younger generation are connected to your music, but how do you
intent to bring that fan craze to the USA.

DA FUGITIVZ:

We have already established our music in the Gambia, and we have also
had very successful shows in Europe mainly in Germany. The July Fourth
is definitely going to create an opportunity for us to connect with our
Gambian brothers in the USA and unveil our musical talent and
performance. We are appealing to every Gambian to joint us in Atlanta to
set the tone for the Twenty first- century for all Gambian musicians.

AGCO:
 How would you explain the kind of music you guys play?

DA FUGUTIVZ:

If you can go back to our own folk music, whether is the jaliba, the
griot and the Halam player, there has always been a rap like music with
a powerful and relevant story behind the music. We blend that Gambia
folklore with the Rap and Reggae tunes of our times.

AGCO:

Any final comment

DA FUGITIVZ:

We would like to thank the Atlanta Gambian Community Organization (AGCO)
for reaching out to our own musicians, and to give us an opportunity to
unveil our musical talent to our Gambian brothers in the Diaspora. Their
Mission statement is TO BE RESPONSIVED TO THE DEVELOPMENT CHALLENGES OF
THE GAMBIAN COMMUNITY, therefore reaching out to us is a clear
indication  their commitment to such a statement. Please join us in
Atlanta on the weekend of June 30 to July 02.