GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
wuri jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:09:53 +0200
Mbading!
Good to read from you. Without taking much time let me try and answer the questions you raised.

-    Why do we need to find out who shot the children when we know who did it?

For me the question is not ' who pulled the trigger?'  Being anxious like Pa Dacosta I want to know who gave the orders? And if a commision of enquiry is being set up with a respectable man like Mr Abrahams of Gambia High School. The least I can do is to give the man the benefit of the doubt. Saiks, you believe in yourself. You believe that you are incorruptible. Why are you not able to recognise the fact that somebody else might be possessing  a similar positive trait. That the love you have for this country we call ours is a love shared by many more out there? If Abrahams fails, we pick up from there and move on, even more determined. This is what I mean by saying that we must have trust in our people and those struggling with them on a daily basis. Saiks there are lawyers, journalists, the opposition. If the Abrahams should fail, these forces should be in place to shoulder the responsibilty of seeing to it that justice is done. Finding myself on the outside, I can contribute some crowns to the funds, order Soffie Ceesay's Gamsu T-Shirts to name a few. At the same time allowing others too to do their duty. Saiks where is your collective spirit?

-    Do we need to give some credits to the lies that the gun shots might come from the students themselves?

Mbading, ask somebody who was not 'taken to school' (Electric Shockwaves)by Tadaba Marena(present day commisioner), Abou Njie, Secka Bai and Sowe Driver!

-    What is it all for Jammeh to visit these children when his government could not provide even a bandage for them?

Saiks, Jammeh did his share! Somebody might be throwing up right now, but that is a fact. I believe it was you and I and the many Gambians who never responded by rising up to shoulder the responsibility of running our country. Look at the beautiful brains that are on display in this List(Both genders). You have been a qualified nurse for quite a time now. With all that we have been through what in the name of struggle are you doing in London-Oslo? During your stay abroad what contacts have you made during your studies to be able to channel medical resources home? You were home I guess during the crisis, where you at the hospital to render your services as a professional? You want to hand over that responsibility over to Yaya. Believe me I was so happy when I saw Jabou Joh's groundnut request that I immediately forwarded it home. I hope that she has been able to see it through. Saiks our country needs us. Yaya Jammeh is symbolic, but the force that can make things move is you, I and our ordinary people. Therein lies the essence of Aluta Continua. If you doubt that and believe that Jammeh or the next person coming after him will be the answer, then there is a problem. Look at Cuba! The most significant force that is holding that country intact is not Castro, but the determination of the Cuban people!

-    ' We must demand justice for the mothers and the children...'

I totally agree with you but I am going a step further. We must allow these mothers to be directly involved in the making of history! Instead of being behind and being lead, they should be in the forefront demanding justice for themseves. Remember Soweto!
And Mbading, when all is said and done, you will always be my brother. With that I say :
Mbi'fe!
Sister Jay.