GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 23:06:17 -0500
Gambia-L

I tried to paint a picture depicting certain aspect of the political reality on the ground. Like most of you, I was disappointed in the Presidential elections and was curious to know all the issues surrounding the Jammeh victory. Clearly, it is a given that the political playing field was not level and Jammeh had all the advantage, and had unfairly used it to win the election and will continue to use it to retain the status quo, but we already know that, and you don’t need me to tell you that. At no point was my intention to embellish President Jammeh’s contributions, waive a campaign of Jammeh’s project, or become a praise singer to President Jammeh. But, as a Saloum Saloum, I will always call it as I see it with truthfulness and honesty. There is definitely a Jammeh phenomenon, and it would be naive for us to believe that there is nothing to it.
Everything I stated in my piece I got form Gambians through discussions, debates and arguments. I have traveled all the way to Kaur and have spoken to Gambians of different shades, and all I did was narrate their argument as they made it to me. Personally, I still believe Gambia is better off under a different leadership that is why I suggested a President Jawara’s governance and rule of law in combination to Jammeh’s commitment to infrastructure development. To downplay his contribution in this area would be a clear indication of dishonesty because these investments are going to have lasting effect to the future development of our Gambia. As Dampha indicated, maybe most Gambians are not in anyway better off with all these projects, furthermore there is still abject poverty, but to suggest that these investments are not going to be economic pillars for future development is dead wrong. I will like to revisit some of the specific development initiatives in order to answer some of the issues raised by Mr.Dampha’s rebuttal.

Investment in university Education/Medical School:
It is a reality that investment in a medical school will lead to hundreds of Gambian Doctors in the next seven years. Forget about whether it is a Jammeh initiative or not, but look at the investment itself. I will still agree with you that this does not justify the horrendous and despotic acts of the Jammeh regime.

Road network:
The coastal highway that can take you to Sukuta, Burfut, and Tanji within minutes will have a major impact to the economy of this area. The Westfied Suma highway is under construction and I have seen it and traveled on it all the way to Bambatenda. Also,a contract has already being signed for the Farafene/Laminkotto highway and the work will soon begin. The Barra-Kerewan highway and the bridge at Kerewan have made traveling through the North bank much easier. Mr.Dampha, you asked the questions, and I am trying to answer then as honestly and trustfully as I can, and in the process I am beginning to be conscious as if I am legitimizing the Jammeh government.

Hospitals:
When I saw the hospital in Bwiam and Farafene, I was impressed. I am not talking about how many Doctors or can people eventually received first class health services, but the effort put into these works are real investments and I honestly believed that Gambia will benefit form these initiatives. Also, another Hospital project was signed to be built at Kanifing. I am not in anyway suggesting that the level of healthcare today in the Gambia is higher, but with investments like these the country’ healthcare stands to improve a great deal.

Energy:
According to people I spoke with on the ground, and these are not necessarily APRC supporters, that the generating capacity to end the energy crisis is available and that they are working on the networks. And you know what, this is one area that I believe that the Jammeh regime will do anything to put an end to the energy crisis.

Dampha, like you I believed that unless we have serious people at the helm and governance and the rule of law touted as important developmental initiatives, the Gambia would continue to be confronted with development challenges. Yus, I am not in anyway suggesting that governance, rule of law are not important, in fact they are the foundation to any serious country that is really interested in nation building. The other argument you guys are putting forward that, whether is sound economic policy to take big time loans to pursue projects like these. And to that I will say if that is what it takes to invest in hospitals, put up a university medical school, road construction throughout the country, and bring an end to the energy crisis, then that is one loan I will not hesitate to take.
In conclusion, the economic lives of Gambians has not change much from my own personal observation, and anytime I posed the question to even APRC supporters, how their lives have changed economically, and all I get is a stare. But, frankly Jammeh is also committed to the areas mentioned above, and that is the whole truth.

Musa Jeng