GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Mori K. Jammeh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:26:29 -0500
From: Mori K. Jammeh
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 4:54 PM
To: GAMBIA-L
Subject: Re: My 25th Message To All Gambians!!

EBRIMA CEESAY WROTE

"However, there are genuine fears (about the UDP/PPP alliance) in the minds
of the electorate which Darboe needs to address, and the sooner the better.
Perception is a very important thing here:  some would go so far as to claim
that perception is reality.  We have to remember that Jammeh, all these
years, has used the national media to sell the idea that the UDP is merely a
front for the old PPP."

"Furthermore, Jammeh has been very cleverly selling the notion that were the
PPP to return to power, then there will be enormous instability and threat
to peace in the country.

Just yesterday, I spoke with a former colleague in The Gambia, and he
expressed the widely held view that "despite my loathing of Yahya Jammeh, if
the likes of Yahya Ceesay and BLK Sanyang return, then God help The Gambia!" "

MY TAKE:

Ebrima, let me beg to disagree with some of your analysis about the forthcoming presidential elections in the Gambia.No matter how much opposition alliance is formed, there will still be skeptics so long the PPP is concerned but all skeptics must also understand that the PPP did not file a presidential candidate, the UDP did. Even if the NCP/NRP would be alliance went through it will still be tough for Yaya to win this election with 50% because of the hell Gambians went through since 1994. You have already enumerated some of the outstanding blunders of this administration's dealings with our farmers, students, its own solders, civil servants etc. These issues will be the driving force behind the election, and when he fail to capture 50% then all opposition parties will be forced then to come together. This does not mean that they can't now.

Keep hope alive,
Mori Kebba Jammeh