GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:41:33 -0700
Hi folks,

I'm listening to The Gambia's Dr. Ebrima Samba, and presently the WHO Regional Director for Africa being interviewed on the BBC.  The interview is in regards the International AIDS conference in South Africa, and as always, it gives me great pride to hear a Gambian articulate opinions on a global platform.  Too bad that Dr. Samba did not get the crown-jewel itself, namely, the Director Generalship of the WHO.  Still, it seems that the man is doing a wonderful job of his post at WHO.  We wish him well.

Hearing Dr. Samba's interview also reminds me of an interview I had with the Scholarship Board back in 1977.  I was in the Upper 6th Form at GHS, and was getting ready to sit to my A-Levels.  It so happened that when I went to school one day (a Saturday I believe) to study, I was told that there was going to be a scholarship interview, and I had no choice but to head straight to Quadrangle.  I was very casually dressed, in my slippers ("charax"), and all!  Like I said I wasn't expecting to be called to an interview, and to be fair to me, you can say that they asked for what they got.

At any rate, Dr. Samba was on the Scholarship Board and in the interview panel.  I was interviewing for a Nigerian government scholarship, and I think everything went well because I got the scholarship.  What I also remember very vividly about that interview was Dr. Samba advising me, in a very serious and fatherly tone, that I should try to dress better when next I go for an interview.  He pointed out that my shirt was bursting at the armpits (where the sleeves are joined to the body of the shirt), and said that it was clearly not presentable; or words to that effect.  I explained, as I've already done here, that I was not given enough time to dress up for the interview.  And in anycase, I cooly added, the problem with my shirt bursting at the arm pits was that I was growing!  I simply had outgrown the shirt, and that was that!  I got away with that, and it's always provided me some amusement whenever I hear, or hear of Dr. Samba.  By the way, would someone kindly tell him that I've stopped growing now, after deciding that it's no longer that much fun!

That's about it.  I just thought I'd share a lighter moment with all of you.  Have a great weekend, and best wishes.

Katim