GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 00:00:27 EDT
Absjorn:<< I will let it be up to the people involved. My point is that all I
had read
on the topic indicate to me, that itīs the offended part who hold the key to
the reconciliation-process, but there will always be a need that the
offender confess/admit and says so, and that they ask for forgiveness. Your
comment and references seems to support such an opinion. >>

Hamjatta: I'm glad you get the gist of my argument and we are in agreement -
at least without the emphasis on the prerequisite essential for
reconciliation to be fruitful. I just want to drop a word or two on the
prerequisite that is of essence before one can even talk about forgiveness
and or reconciliation. Attempts at reconciliation and or forgiveness would be
**causally impotent** if those who caused wrong do not make it a **duty** to
share and understand the pain of those wronged and the legitimacy of their
desire for vengeance. Now, the reason why i said talk of reconciliation - as
things stand in the Gambia - is at best ill-timed, is simply because the
prerequisite described above, is essentially absent from the Gambian
equation. You don't go around bullying or brow-beating people into
submission, then turn around and say that you want reconciliation. The desire
for vengeance cannot be disarmed by being bullish or recalcitrance.

 I saw it reported in one of the local papers online that the Majority Leader
in the National Assembly, Mr. Tamsir Jallow, mooting the idea of a "Truth and
Reconciliation Commission" to help heal the wounds inflicted on the Gambian
peoples since Jammeh forced himself upon the Gambian peoples. Nice try,  i
would say. It doesn't change my mind that we are very far from that fertile
soil whereby the seeds of forgiveness and reconciliation can be planted and
give forth sprouts of genuine forgiveness and reconciliation. Yes the Gambia
and Gambians in the very end need to forgive and reconcile to be wholesome
again BUT not at the expense of justice for the aggrieved.

Best wishes,

Hamjatta - Kanteh