GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ams Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:29:18 EDT
PART II

AMY GOODMAN:Jim Hightower, author of Thieves in High Places: They Have Stolen
Our Country and it’s Time To Take It Back. We'll be back with him live in our
studio in a minute.AMY GOODMAN:Here on Democracy Now! I am Amy Goodman,
joined by Jim Hightower. His latest book Thieves in High Places: They Have Stolen
Our Country and it’s Time To Take It Back. Welcome, Jim.JIM HIGHTOWER:Thank you
so much, Amy, great to be with you on this wonderful Democracy Now! program
that helps to take America back by spreading this voice all across the country.
Everywhere I go folks are tuned in.AMY GOODMAN:Well, Jim--speaking of the
media--in our headlines as you were coming in this morning hearing that the
F.C.C. chair Michael Powell has now admitted, “Congress should write the rules.
There is a sentiment being expressed by the American public, a concern about the
media, a concern about big media.” It looks like his two top aides are
resigning and there's been questions about whether he is, too.JIM HIGHTOWER:It is a
clear example of the guy who got taken to the woodshed by we the people. This
is a tremendous victory. Unfortunately it is a negative victory. It doesn’t
mean we've taken our public airwaves back, but it is very significant and it was
done by the people and through community radio, largely, and Internet
opposition, but folks through community radio. You know the establishment media, which
was pushing this Powell program, the establishment media was not covering
this.It came from…AMY GOODMAN: They were busy filing with the F.C.C. supporting
the deregulation.JIM HIGHTOWER:Absolutely. To have that 400 to 20 vote in the
House of Representatives was one of our better days in a long time.Amy Goodman:
Then we have the Bush Administration demanding the World Trade Organization
force the European Union to lift its ban on new genetically modified food.JIM
HIGHTOWER:Well, Lilly Tomlin said, “No matter how cynical you get it's almost
impossible to keep up.” This is a clear example. We are saying to Europeans, “
No, you cannot decide what is in your food. Only corporations can decide that.”
AMY GOODMAN: It sounds like Cancun is going to be very interesting at the
level of protest that is going to be there.JIM HIGHTOWER:Yes, at the Seattle
level, I think. They're going to have a lot of uninvited guests who once again are
in the streets because we're not inside. And inside they're doing such absurd
things as dictating what people have in their food. You know, the interesting
part about that appeal to the W.T.O. is that it's going to raise people's
consciousness in this country--say, wait a minute, what is in our food. You're
telling us that there's this altered organism in our food, which again the media
has not been reporting on, the establishment side. So it's going to raise two
things, I think. The fact that corporations are doing that and secondly, who
the hell is the W.T.O. to make these decisions.AMY GOODMAN: Jim, what is
happening in your state? I see that Tom DeLay says the state legislature in Texas
has to redistrict and is now going after the democrats who left for Oklahoma,
not wanting to vote on this.JIM HIGHTOWER:Tom DeLay got up and had another big
old bowl of “Fruit Loops”, I think, swallowed a few too many of them and
decided that he didn't have enough to do in Washington so he would begin to
interfere with the state legislature's responsibility to redistrict, which state
legislatures did in 2001. Now in Texas, the 2001 legislature redistricting plan
was blocked by the republicans, not by the democrats but by the republicans.
Then they threw it to a bipartisan panel of judges and the judges did the
redistricting that now DeLay says has got to be redone. And why does he say that?
Because we’re not electing enough republicans. Therefore we have to rig the
system so it automatically produces more republicans. He's talking about six
different congressional districts that have republican majority but democrats are
elected there. Well, go beat the democrats. If you can't beat 'em, that's not
the voter's fault. That's your fault. You're not putting forth good enough
candidates. He wants to re-rig the system even tighter, drawing these folks out of
suburban areas so that rural areas in the state would have no control over
their own members of Congress. They would be represented by somebody 250 miles
away in a Dallas suburb.AMY GOODMAN: Jim, you are traveling through many states
of this country right now on a whirlwind tour. You're rolling thunder.JIM
HIGHTOWER:We’re barn storming all over. I'm off right now on a thirty-something
city tour that is talking about this message of thieves in high places and more
importantly of how we can take the country back. I'm bringing a message of
hope because the media establishment would suggest to us, “Oh, well, it's a
conservative country. You people don't have a chance. So, don't even fight back.”
Hog wash and horse hockey. People are fighting back and winning terrific
victories all over this great country. So, I'm going out and celebrating with these
people and also to help raise some money and do rallies and all of that. So
we can indeed take America back. We can do it.AMY GOODMAN:Jim Hightower, thank
you for being with us. Former Agriculture Commissioner of Texas who now has
written a number of books, his latest, Thieves in High Places: They Have Stolen
Our Country and it’s Time To Take It Back. You can find out more about him at
Jimhightower.com and his newsletter The Hightower Lowdown.Thank you.JIM
HIGHTOWER:Thank you, Amy

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
 - Albert Einstein
the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear
the government, you have tyranny."
- Thomas Jefferson
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke