GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:32:13 -0500
Hello, I find it interesting that Wa Juwara could be given a pass, as
it were, and / or that people seem to be making excuses for him.  What
if Wa Juwara wasn't still in the NADD alliance?  Would people be so
quick to either deny the allegations, or say, "Oh, well, he's just
trying to get back at the UDP", etc.  I'd think that any allegation
that Wa Juwara was campaigning for a candidate from an opposing party,
while still being a member of NADD, is well, serious.  Why couldn't he
just have ran for himself, if the story is true that he is campaigning
for the APRC candidate, and the reason is to get back at UDP, as it
were, if he wanted to get back at them so much, then why couldn't he
have just ran for office himself?  Why seemingly leave your own party
and campaign for the APRC?

    I don't think anything justifies supporting this party, especially
coming from someone who has often spoken out against the APRC.  I'd
guess that it would be one thing if Wa Juwara was not a member of any
party, then he could do whatever he wants, but he is still a member of
NADD.

    Anyway, bringing up the UDP still doesn't address the "if" and the
"why" of this story.  If it is true that this is indeed happening,
then why.  And him trying to settle a score with the UDP is to me a
bad excuse!

    If UDP engages in what some consider to be bad behavior, then why
should members of NADD engage in the same?  If NADD and their
supporters keep talking about charting a new way for Gambians, keep
talking about changing the structure of government for the better,
than what does it say when one of their members decides to settle old
scores with parties he was previously involved in by campaigning for
the ruling party?  So much for being the change and new hope for
Gambians.  Seems like business as usual to me.

     And if this was anyone else, we'd be talking about how he'd do
anything for his own self-interest, we'd be digging up past quotes of
his pronouncements against the APRC, and we'd thump our chests and say
how much better we are, how much more principled we are, because *we*,
would never stoop to such a low!

     But because it's Wa Juwara, because he's still a emmber of NADD,
we try to make excuses for him, try to rubbish the story even while
the APRC candidate himself is coming and saying that the story is
true, and then finding flimsy reasons for why Wa Juwara is doing this,
and continuing to blame the UDP for just about everything under the
sun.  But Wa Juwara's grievances with the UDP go back before NADD, so
again, the excuse thatt his is just his way of getting back at the UDP
just doesn't work for me.  And again, making this excuse implies that
this is true.  And if it is, why couldn't he just be honest and say
why he was doing this?

Ginny